Back to the beginning.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 13. Feb 2016, 05:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've gone back to the beginning but not in a bad way, just back to basics. Things had slowly been going downhill in terms of pain, mobility and fatigue which has impacted on my mood. Despite being told there was a long waiting list, I was seen by the amazing rheum physio within 2 weeks of referral. We have gone back to basic in terms of pain management and fatigue controlling techniques. It was a great session which refreshed the important things I had forgotten. In the back of a dusty cupboard, I found my TENS machine which I am trialing as I type. It feels weird but relaxing for my tense neck muscles. I've been referred for physiotherapy which I'm thrilled about because I've been paying £42 a week for private treatment and it's not sustainable.

I don't know if it's stress or autoimmune related but my GI condition has been giving me grief; pain, vomiting and fainting which are a truly exhausting (and worrying!) combination. So, I've gone back to basic with that too; plain foods, small meals/snacks, fewer fluids, more anti-sickness meds and wheat bags for the abdo pain.

I've been surprised how quickly I have turned myself around again just by reviewing what needs to be done. It's all very simple but I feel back in control and much more positive.

After all these years, I thought I knew it all but it turns out that a refresher has been a confidence boost.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done, you've been through a tough time lately and I 'm glad to hear you have got the advice and support you need and that your back to basics approach is helping. I think we're all guilty at times of forgetting those basic things which work for us.
    This is just the boost you need before starting new job as well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    That's really good to hear. I hope things continue to improve for you. Take care.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is very easy to become attuned to things being continually rough and to forget that by reverting to earlier - and maybe better - habits we can make some changes to help ourselves. It's human nature, isn't it? 'I've been doing A, B and C, and things are getting better, so I don't need to do them anymore. ' I reckon we've all been there. :wink: I am pleased about the physio and I hope this is the beginning of a new and refreshed Sophie. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That's good news and very well-deserved and hard-earned good news.

I think you're spot on about remembering the basics. I, too, plead guilty. I'm so glad they're working for you and that you can have the physio you need without forking out £42 per week.

I hope the stomach settles down soon. It makes perfect sense that it would kick in when your stress levels are high. I have occasionally to revert to a very basic, plain diet for a while and I invariably resist it as long as possible thus prolonging it :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thanks, all. I've even been reading up on sleep hygiene again just to remind myself to get back into good habits.