4 weeks or 4 months THR.......?

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 14. Feb 2016, 17:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have contacted the Orthopaedic Waiting List Office to find out approximately when my THR would be carried out.
This followed my appointment at the orthopaedic outpatients clinic at my local hospital when it was agreed I was in need of a THR.
Was told that this would be about the end of June if I had the surgeon of my choice (he is one of the best and most experienced in our area and recommended by people I know).I could have a different surgeon and it would then be end of March.Is he as good with such a short waitind list............... :!:
Based on this what would you do............... :?:
Ron
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    To me it's a no-brainer, Ron. I'd go for the best man every time. The four month wait would be well worth it. (OK almost every time. I remember when I was in excruciating pain and literally couldn't stand up before one THR. I'd probably have gone for the quicker route then :lol: )

There's a good reason why the best guys have longer lists – because they get the most difficult operations. When I had my knee revision I could have had a simple TKR about 4-5 weeks earlier, As it was I had to wait until there was a double slot available in theatre. While I was there my surgeon did some fancy work with my tendons which resulted in my leg being straighter than it had been after the original TKR was put in.

I also think good, experienced surgeons quite like the challenge that we rheumatoid patients with other wonky, or replaced, bits present whereas I've had registrars who clearly knew nothing about RA and / or banged on interminably about the dangers or surgery, either to frighten me off or because I frightened them or both. I wouldn't let them near me with a bargepole let alone a scalpel.

Go for the best man you can get and may the real ale be with you.

(I don't suppose you've considered having it done at the excellent AAAARGH hospital? Given that you'd be providing your own top notch replacement we could do it amazingly quickly under one of mig's special local anaesthetics so that you and I could share a barrel or two while I operated.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been thinking about this and agree with Sticky. My normal response would be 'Let's get this done ASAP' but she (as usual) makes a good point. Four months is nothing in the greater scheme of things and if you can last until then, then why not? Plus the summer months are far more pleasant to enjoy when it comes to rest and recuperation - I've always found my summer ops easier after than the winter ones. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Thanks sticky and DD for confirming which I also felt was the right path to take.I also considered that he would be more able to deal with any difficulties if these should occur.
    Had considered having the op done at the AAAARGH but could't find any patient feedback on the staff........... :o
    (did check feedback on the other surgeon suggested,the comment 'blunders at every level' decided me!!!!
    Ron

ps had occupational therapy session this morning with some friends at Wethersp**ns (treatment was a full English.......... :D:D ).
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)