More prone to infections?

Options
daniivca
daniivca Member Posts: 30
edited 17. Feb 2016, 04:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Random question but I was just wondering if I am more prone to getting infections as I seem to be getting cystitis that lasts for half a day a lot recently, seems to be since I started my hydroxy so I don't know if it's from that? May just be the stress of been short staffed at work I'm not to sure but thought that this would be a good place to ask :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As hydroxy is a DMARD (albeit a mild one) it does suppress the immune system thus leaving us more prone to infections. Keep hand gel close, use it often and encourage those around you to do the same. Wash your hands thoroughly whenever you come in from outside (my husband does the same to help me), keep anti-bac wipes handy for your desk and pen pot etc., especially if you have sniffling colleagues - if they sneeze over your desk then 'borrow' a pen there will be germs everywhere.

Some are prone to UTIs and again good hygiene is essential. I note you say it goes after half a day so I query your self-diagnosis: UTIs are infections and require medication to get rid of them. There can be many reasons for stinging on passing urine so it may be a good idea to see your doctor about this. Apparently cranberry juice is a good acid neutraliser, my mum used to take a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a small glass of lemonade. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This doesn't sound much like cystitis to me either. As I – dimly – recall, there is no way I could have worked with it as I was in the loo every five minutes and only antibiotics cleared it up. Here is what NHS says about causes of cystitis http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cystitis/Pages/Causes.aspx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright