Food

archaeobard
archaeobard Member Posts: 30
edited 9. Mar 2016, 06:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear all,

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience...I've recently had some very bad pain/joint inflammation over several weeks where I have been in huge amounts of agony regardless of morphine etc. I decided to help myself and see if losing a bit of weight might assist. I know my body, and with my limited mobility, running around the block is not exactly on the table.

So, I've changed my diet and cut a lot of carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Bizarrely after the first half dozen days of eating this way I woke up and my joint stiffness was a lot less. Then by the evening I found I was moving around better with my crutches. At one point I stopped and thought, "hang on, that's only hurting a little bit!" You know the feeling when you have been living with chronic pain for ages and then it isn't there or has diminished markedly?? It's like a huge weight is lifted, isn't it?

I had a surge of happiness and wondered why this was happening. Then I twigged, low carbs. I am wondering if there is a link. Has anyone found a decrease in pain/inflammation levels by eating a low carb diet? I dare not test it by scoffing on some bread or pasta because I'd rather the pain stay away or at least not come back like it was.

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Kat
Pain's just nature's way of saying, 'Hey, you're alive!'

Ares in "Forget Me Not" from Xena: Warrior Princess.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thoughts? Been there, done that, got nowhere. I have a creaky foot in both arthritis camps and changing my diet has not made one jot of difference to pain levels (and neither did losing three stones). As with al things in life, for some it works, for others it doesn't. I know that my OA worsens when I eat pickles and chutneys (ironic as people still flog vinegar as a 'cure') and tomatoes so I avoid them unless I'm feeling gung-ho!

I am pleased this has helped you and I hope you can maintain it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Kat I am another that has tried most diets going, ones to lose weight and ones for my health..but to no avail but this doesn't mean it wont work for you, and long may it continue..
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I stopped eating wheat products 16 years ago due to intolerance. The arthritis has only made an appearance in the last 3 years but on the very rare occasions I have something wheatbased(due to lack of alternative when out)I have noticed the OA quickly plays up. I tested clear for coeliac disease, but recently there is a suspicion that some other grains are causing problems so I might in fact have non-coeliac gluten intolerance(which would be a real pain).
    If it works for you then, so long as you're still having a good diet, good luck and I hope the benefit continues.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In my early arthritic years I tried all sorts of weird potions and diets. None worked.

If a low carb diet works for you then go for it. At least the weight loss will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bitsinabag
    bitsinabag Member Posts: 30
    Dear all,

I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience...I've recently had some very bad pain/joint inflammation over several weeks where I have been in huge amounts of agony regardless of morphine etc. I decided to help myself and see if losing a bit of weight might assist. I know my body, and with my limited mobility, running around the block is not exactly on the table.

So, I've changed my diet and cut a lot of carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Bizarrely after the first half dozen days of eating this way I woke up and my joint stiffness was a lot less. Then by the evening I found I was moving around better with my crutches. At one point I stopped and thought, "hang on, that's only hurting a little bit!" You know the feeling when you have been living with chronic pain for ages and then it isn't there or has diminished markedly?? It's like a huge weight is lifted, isn't it?

I had a surge of happiness and wondered why this was happening. Then I twigged, low carbs. I am wondering if there is a link. Has anyone found a decrease in pain/inflammation levels by eating a low carb diet? I dare not test it by scoffing on some bread or pasta because I'd rather the pain stay away or at least not come back like it was.

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Kat
    Hello Kat,I recently joined ther forum to share my experience of food triggered pain. There is a page somewhere on this site. Rhumatoid and food.
    In short by identifying `my` trigger food I, after suffering with chronic RA for some years, am now and have been for 8+ years Pain and symptom free. My triggger is Wheat and Gluten, if I avoid them absolutely all is well. Even small doses (hidden somewhere in the small print) then RA re-appears within the hour!
    I discovered my response through record keeping of both food and my wellbeing. Sounds time consuming but it wasnt.

All the best
    bitsinabag
    ps if you can`t find the moderator prabably can.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi bitsinabag

There is a booklet on Healthy Eating and Arthritis available from the website. You can find the link in the section on the "Interaction between food and arthritis" on this page:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/diet

Best wishes
    Mod B
  • bitsinabag
    bitsinabag Member Posts: 30
    moderator wrote:
    Hi bitsinabag

There is a booklet on Healthy Eating and Arthritis available from the website. You can find the link in the section on the "Interaction between food and arthritis" on this page:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/diet

Best wishes
    Mod B

Where this fails in our experience is what is good for one may be bad for another - of those that have chosen the personal record based analytical approach there have been other triggers than wheat/gluten eg dairy. Even the side effects of certain drugs.
    I will to underline the key points of our approach as originally listed by my old man!.
    1 Change in wellbeing+.- = opportunity to discover why.
    2 The log of inputs / change of wellbeing = key indicator of what
    3 Be ruthless in avoiding what (for a week at least)
    4 Re-introduce what to confirm if
    5 Monitor and log throughout on a single A4. (Full picture view)
    We used an Excel spreadsheet printed per week.
    While this is not a one size fits all cureall it puts You back in the driving seat with little or no risk in the process. And if this approach helps no more than one in a number then great!
    I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks for your time and suggestions

All the best
    bitsinabag