Next app ?

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 24. Feb 2016, 15:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all!

I've an app next week at the pain clinic regarding injecting cortisone into my SI hip joints.

Following a slow release cortisone injection last sept ive not been as bad ! I was considering discussing with consultant to hold off injecting. However yesterday I had a full day walking 17k and v stressful dad to doctors etc! No resting took 2 amitrip tabs along with rest concoction of tablets ! Had huge problem with pain during night ESP in hip areas. I've had a pain swelling day ! Shattered too !

Question is do I still go for the procedure ??

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Whether or not you do I think a more important question would be Is it a good idea to walk 17k? Injections can only do so much. Exercise is good but 17k is an awful lot of exercise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I do think you are overdoing things there, if your hip is so painful go for the injection but please try and take things easier..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm afraid I agree with the others - 17K seems extremely ambitious! I hope you are feeling better and perhaps you should check with the GP about the injection if your hip is still painful?
    Take care
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's hardly surprising you were in pain after doing all that: whatever we do (or not do) pain will be there, it's a fact of our lives. Injections do not get rid of it for ever (and bring their own troubles along to the party if over-used). Of course you should attend the next appointment, our doctors are trying to help but they can only achieve so much; the rest is up to their patients. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Apologies for the confusion! I didn't chose to walk 17k, following the hospital trolley to wards and down for ct scans, walking from the carpark - upstairs ( lift broken) racked up stairs.

I have a Fitbit so tracking my steps is easy, and so is tracking my sleep.

I wasn't asking should I go to the app - was asking if you thought the procedure would be worthwhile..

I have had my appointment today. Discussed with my consultant and are on the waiting lis for the cortisone injection into my sacroiliac joints.

Believe me if I had the choice to take things easier I would.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I hope the injection helps again. There are no guarantees even when they have done previously.

As for the 17k, it's laudable that you work so hard despite the arthritis and I'm sure, in doing so, you improve the lives of many people but don't forget yourself in all this. Your body needs a bit of tlc too. Is there an end in sight to such a punishing workload?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    I don't work in hospital SW. My dad was rushed in and was there the majority of the week. Spent the week ferrying mum about etc.

I'm a teacher and was on half term last week - this would normally be my rest week but no such luck. Family comes first.

I struggle to make any time for myself.! Apart from my hour in the bath on a night X