Residential

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 24. Feb 2016, 14:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I'm a few weeks I have a residential with my year 5 class.

This will be my 3rd year going. It's a full on week, walking, hiking, ghyll scrambling, caving, horse riding the works!

I always take my own pillow, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations to what to take to make things easier ? I'm considering taking a electric blanket to soothe my poor back & hips , but I can't take my memory foam topper can I ?

The issue is you can't relax of chill properly as your always on call for them.

I'm dreading this year more than most tbh :cry: I normally look forward to it. But wonder if it's all getting a bit too much.

Any advise would be great fully received. Xx

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Is it worth contacting the place where you'll be staying to see if they can help? Perhaps an extra duvet to put under you to cushion the mattress?
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh dear, I remember getting to dread taking my class of 5 year olds even on day visits because of being so exhausted by the end. A spare quilt to lie on might cushion sore joints. If the venue has a microwave available maybe take some wheat packs to sooth over used knees and shoulders, or a hot water bottle? Assuming that there will be other staff with you could you chat to them about the fatigue element and try to build in a little rest period each day, even just half an hour to rest can help? I found being honest with colleagues about the things that I was trying to cope with day to day was really beneficial , and they were amazingly supportive in so many ways, it enabled me to teach for longer than I otherwise would have done.

Deb
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    What about stocking up on some of the stick on heat patches? They last a long time and won't be noticeable. The centre should be disability aware and accessible as schools are not supposed to use ones that are not. Have you had a risk assessment done for the visit, I mean a personal one for you? This could include things like rest breaks etc and could be shared with the other staff going and the residential staff. You might also want to talk to your class just to say there will be times when you won't be available and why. It's amazing how understanding and supportive children can be.
    Most of all, good luck!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • scouting
    scouting Member Posts: 37
    Hi. I'm a scout leader so do camping trips all year. I find the stick on heat pads to be great and most scouts know whats wrong with me and I can always take a step back and just concentrate on cooking or doing the medicines. Make sure your colleagues know so they may be called upon when you cannot. I would ask for an extra duvet to go underneath and if there is room on the transport why can't you take your topper? Gxx
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Hi
    I've just got back from a residential (although mine were at least 16-19 and I got to take the OH as the male member of staff who was my packhorse/nag) and can really empathise with your dread.

I agree on the heat packs - that seems like a good idea. Do you think using some kind of walking aid would help with the hikes? I gave in and used crutches all round Rome this year and actually survived the week better than expected. But I think without the sticks I would have been in a terrible state (in actual fact I was mostly on one stick as a teenager with a long-term knee problem decided she probably wouldn't need her occasional stick :roll: ). I have seen people with hiking-style sticks which might take some pressure off?

And absolutely step back and let others take the strain sometimes. I really needed my husband to make me be sensible sometimes as I just can't do all the things I used to (but did want to try).
    Hope it goes well
    :)
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Thankyou for your supportive replies.

My colleagues are aware of my medical condition. I have a bath a night to relax my muscles and joints. All but one of my colleagues are much older than me. The other is a new member of staff who the laziest person I've ever met.

My memory foam topper is a double - the beds at our residential are singles. Last year I put a duvet underneath me. My daughter has a inflating rolled up ground mat, for camping- I might take that also.

The heat pads are a great idea. I will definitely pack those.

I've found the anti inflammatory gel is worthwhile.

I've never had a stick to walk with. But like the idea. Where would I get one from ?

Lynne xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You can get ordinary sticks from either an Occupational Therapist or any disability shop. Walking poles can be got from any good outdoor shop.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright