First work week back on normal hours

slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 21. Feb 2016, 11:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I call it a week but I only work 3days a week. I was quite tired yesterday but not overly so. I had rather naively thought that as well as the hours being normal, the week would be too!
On Monday we discovered that the heating system had a problem so the office was frozen and even once it was fixed it took hours to get warm. It was snowing on Monday so cold, cold, cold. Tuesday, I had a training course at Head Office in the morning so that doubled my travel time by the time I got back to my office and I was shattered by Tuesday night. (Pizza for tea that night as it was easy). Wednesday my colleague had a day off so I was alone all day apart from getting lunch cover.
An interesting week. So what did I learn from it? I should have stopped for a seat and a cup of tea after training before heading back to my office as I was really worn out when I got back and the course had finished early anyway. I have difficulties now multi tasking and trying to sort out different queries at the same time, as in dealing with customer at counter, responding to a passing query from someone walking past and probably the phone would be ringing too! I also find loud noises and voices far more intrusive to my thought process now too. Never used to be much of an issue before.
Just as an added extra, I noticed when I was getting ready for bed on Monday night that my left eye was all bloody, really freaked out hubby and me, looked like a burst blood vessel, thankfully it has got progressively better and now looks almost normal. Hopefully it won't happen again, will mention it at my next blood test anyway.
So that's my saga of my first 'normal' week! I'm just going to have to pace myself carefully and stop for a moment's breather whenever I can.

love to everyone
slomo

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well done for surviving. I found it difficult to multi-task when I first went back,but it gradually got easier.

Hope next week is smoother
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Congratulations from me, too. Every milestone should be celebrated. I hope you can have a quiet weekend now, slomo.

I think you're right to mention the burst blood vessel when you see the doc. It might be nothing (My elder son once did it as a baby when screaming for attention :o ) but best to be sure.

I think the pizza was a good idea. A bit of junk food can always get us through a tough patch.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Multi-tasking is a skill which is easily forgotten after a period of ill-health and can take a little while to get used to doing the juggling again! You have learned a useful lesson in pacing yourself so keep reminding yourself to do just that. You're doing well, Slomo, keep up the good work! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slomo you have done so well to get through all that, especially being cold..so hopefully they cant throw anything else at you that you cant cope with..has for the multitasking..tell me about it..I think its a matter of getting your brain back into working mode.. :) you will do it...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. Hopefully this week will be more normal. (Whatever normal is these days!)

Love
    slomo
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    'Normal' is vastly over-rated. :wink: Good luck for this week. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben