Blood tests, now what

Options
Lellynelly
Lellynelly Member Posts: 10
edited 7. Apr 2016, 09:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. Went to see my gp last month as had been in so much pain for a number of weeks. I asked him if it could be arthritis as the bouts of severe pain are getting worse and it has been going on for a number of years (I'm 50) He didn't really say much but referred me to physio (I haven't heard anything yet) and also for a blood test.
I had the blood test yesterday and have an appointment to go back to the gp on March 16th.
Is arthritis that hard to diagnose? Or was he looking for something else?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi again. Yes, arthritis - or at least the autoimmune types - can be very difficult to diagnose precisely and the blood test is almost certainly an attempt to rule at least some forms in or out. As I mentioned in your previous post, he's actually doing well in considering all possibilities.

How have you been since we last heard from you? Are you on any meds?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There are many forms of auto-immune arthritis (around 300) so yes, they can be very hard to diagnose. OA is not diagnosed by a blood test. Those who have never needed to know about arthritis assume there are only the two kinds, because they are the most mentioned, but you are one of the possibly unlucky ones who is starting to find out more about this matter than you may wish.

Arthritis can affect the young, those in their twenties as well as those of us above 50. It is not a disease for old people as so many seem to think. Let's wait and see what the bloods reveal and then we'll go from there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lellynelly
    Options
    Hi all. The blood tests showed a very slight i flamation but apparently not enough to diagnose RA. So next step xray. Had one today in my right hip, as that is the joint that tends to give me the most pain. Watch this space....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Inflammation can be an indication of something arthritic going on but, as there are around 300 kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions, an accurate diagnosis can take time. Just to further complicate matters one can be sero-positive (i.e. rheumatoid factor is present in the bloods) or sero-negative (i.e. it isn't). I have one of those kinds. DD
  • Lellynelly
    Options
    The saga continues. I have a question. Just had a letter through from the hospital asking me to book for some physio - something my doctor requested on my first visit some months ago. It asks me which where the problem area is?
    1) do I fill it in and just state 'everywhere'
    2) should I leave it until I have had the results of my xray?
    3) If I have oa is physio going to help anyway?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I presume they've sent you a form to fill in, yes? 'Everywhere' may not be a specific enough reply and won't help them to work out how to help. Put the major area of trouble and then when you meet the physio for the first session (usually an assessment) you can give more detail. Send the form back as soon as you can so you can begin the exercises they give you sooner rather than later.

They are not going to stop the arthritis but they are essential in helping our muscles to stay as strong and flexible as possible to better support the affected joint/s. I still do exercises I have been given over the years and I'm sure they help to better preserve my mobility Don't wait for results, they will come through in their own time and the hospital will have access to them. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It will definitely help provided you keep doing the exercises.

I wouldn't wait for scan results but you can mention you're having one.

As DD says, 'everywhere' is unhelpful even though it might well be true. Say which joints are worst.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright