Living with Pain

Options
LiberatedLouise
LiberatedLouise Member Posts: 7
edited 22. Feb 2016, 04:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been diagnosed with arthritis of the foot by my surgeon, and he wasn't keen for me to have an operation. I'm very despondent about this since I've always been an avid walker. Now it feels like walking on nails.

I went to my GP who is going to refer me for physiotherapy at a nearby hospital in the near future. This is so restricting, especially on the foot. Anyway, I'm not living with arthritis gracefully at this point - especially at 60. I have years left to live and hate to think of the future.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Louise

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you've come to the right place for support and understanding. We are all familiar with the pain of arthritis and with the unwanted changes it imposes on our lives. It will all be especially difficult for you if you've been used to a very active lifestyle.

The foot is complicated and has about 25 bones. I've had arthritis in both feet for well over 50 years and it can be tough but that is not to say that it has to be so. The more we are open to changes the less traumatic life becomes.

I hope the physio will help. Perhaps it will be felt that you could benefit from orthotic insoles for your shoes. (Always wear strong, supporting shoes such as good trainers.)

Be gentle with yourself. This will take some getting used to and coming to terms with but there is life after diagnosis and it can be very good indeed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pain has a role to play in that it alerts us that something is wrong. With our arthritic situations, however, it stays with us because we cannot be easily 'repaired'. With one affected area you will be more keenly aware of it and it will therefore intrude upon your life far more. I guess you have been diagnosed with OA? I have that too, plus an auto-immune kind which caused it. It's not fun.

Pain relief is one solution, what has your GP offered? I prefer to keep mine to a minimum, in my early years I tried everything but concluded that I preferred being alert and able as opposed to legally doped up and unable. Surgeons will not operate until a certain level of damage has been reached, which is tough on us.

I count myself very fortunate in that I can no longer remember being pain-free (I have around forty affected joints) and life became much easier to manage once that happened. I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day which leaves me room to manoeuvre when things get worse but my main coping technique is distraction. Pain demands attention, and sometimes it must be given that attention, but mostly it's best to ignore it as much as possible - if you focus on it it worsens. It takes time to develop coping strategies and this will be hard for you because you have enjoyed the 'curse' of good health which is no preparation for events like this.

You can carry on walking, wear good, supportive footwear, proper socks, use a walking pole if you cannot face using a stick (held in the opposite hand to the affected foot) and stay on grass as much as possible because it's a softer surface and kinder to rickety joints. Enjoy the mobility you have, use it because there is no reason to lose it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben