Pain relief problems

Options
markstev234
markstev234 Member Posts: 6
edited 23. Feb 2016, 15:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have osteoarthritis after being born with bi lateral talipes.

I have been taking cocodormol and also ibuprofen until I was taken off ibuprofen due to stomach issues.

I was then placed on Tramadol but I found I was suffering from persistent migraines.

I also applied for PIP due to issues walking and driving. I was turned down for this and have asked them to look at the result again but this was turned down again.

Does anyone also suffer from migraines with pain relief or have advice on which pain relief is best?

Also has anyone applied for PIP and have any advice on the next course of action

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello
    Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendship here.
    I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the "arthritis hanger on" or look after family who have the same.
    If you are having problems with the technicallities of the forum just get in touch via a private message
    Best wishes
    Mod CK
  • markstev234
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hello
    Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendship here.
    I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the "arthritis hanger on" or look after family who have the same.
    If you are having problems with the technicallities of the forum just get in touch via a private message
    Best wishes
    Mod CK

Thank you
  • markstev234
    Options
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi markstev234
    there is a forum where you will find lots of members talk about benefits and the issues around PIP so it might be worth putting up a new topic there http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=9. Lots of people have had similar experiences there. Also we have a helpline that you can phone free. Phone on 0808 800 4050.
    Wishing you all the best
    Sharon

Thank you

It is hard to get the support you need so this will be a great help
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi there and welcome from me, too :)

I don't think there's a 'best' when it comes to pain relief. It's more a matter of which suits who. I think I've read somewhere that tramadol can cause migraines. Mind you, paracetamol can cause headaches :roll:

Did you take a stomach- protecting med with the ibuprofen? If not, might it be possible for you either to continue it with one of these or to try a different anti-inflammatory with them? That's one to ask your GP about.

For straight pain relief I just take the mildest cocodamol – the fewer the better.

As the cause of your OA is the talipes, has it ever been suggested that you see a podiatrist re orthotic insoles or special shoes or boots?

I'm sorry, I can't help with benefits other than to say we usually advise people to enlist the help of CAB, especially when appealing, and to attach any supporting documentation from your GP, consultant, physio etc. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • markstev234
    Options
    Hi there and welcome from me, too :)

I don't think there's a 'best' when it comes to pain relief. It's more a matter of which suits who. I think I've read somewhere that tramadol can cause migraines. Mind you, paracetamol can cause headaches :roll:

Did you take a stomach- protecting med with the ibuprofen? If not, might it be possible for you either to continue it with one of these or to try a different anti-inflammatory with them? That's one to ask your GP about.

For straight pain relief I just take the mildest cocodamol – the fewer the better.

As the cause of your OA is the talipes, has it ever been suggested that you see a podiatrist re orthotic insoles or special shoes or boots?

I'm sorry, I can't help with benefits other than to say we usually advise people to enlist the help of CAB, especially when appealing, and to attach any supporting documentation from your GP, consultant, physio etc. Good luck.

Thanks

I have recently been given some boots from the orthotic department. I did take stomach tablets with the pain killers but they still advised I came off them. I may ask again

Thanks
  • Tiswas
    Tiswas Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello markstev234
    I'm not an expert, nor am I familiar with your illness. However, I am familiar with pain.
    My rheumy tried to give me tramadol, but wrote the script out wrong, so I ended up with Co-codamol instead. I was so pleased.
    A friend of mine is on Tramadol and is a zombie most of the time. From what I have read they are in the next league to other painkillers and you need to decide whether they are right for you or not.
    There are other anti-inflammatories out there that are more gentle on your stomach. I was changed to Celecoxib because of problems in that department and they seem OK (along with Omeprazole).

My advice to you about pain relief is to go and pin your GP down. This needs discussing thoroughly and you need to find a solution which suits you.

All the best.

Stickywicket just beat me to posting :o
    64yo Male - Gout (at the mo!)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    My daughter who has ME and endometriosis gets occasional migraines. She tries to avoid triggers but her GP recently prescribed metaclopramide for these, she finds they work very quickly and she has a supply so she can just take them as and when.
    As for PIP I am one of the "lucky" ones. I had my first assessment last April and got standard rate for daily living and due to my problems worsening had a further assessment a couple of weeks ago and now get mobility as well. I went to two different centres and found the assessors listened and didn't seem to be in the business of trying to catch me out. All I can add to the advice you have been given is to ask for a copy of the full report if you haven't already done so.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too am not familiar with your particular set of troubles but I can empathise with the pain and frustration at being refused PIP: I was granted indefinite DLA back in 2007 (when the lack of jumping hoops was laughable) but am aware that I will be changed to PIP at some point which will be, ummmmm, interesting. And necessary thanks to the many who abused it.

Whatever we take for pain relief the effects are both limited and temporary. I have an auto-immune arthritis and the joint damage that caused has led to OA in my hips, knees and ankles. I get by on four 30/500 cocodamol per day, this dulls things to a manageable level so I can get on with everyday life - it's so good I can still cook, clean, launder, iron etc. :wink: but I am also fortunate in that they don't affect me as they do others. I have also had to change the way I approach doing chores / tasks because my body's abilities have changed.

Over the years I have found that distraction is one of my best weapons to fight pain - I am now trying to work with a very new one, namely an internet radio station (100 Chill Radio -London) which is hindering my reply to you because I keep chair-dancing ('cos I cant do the other kind) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I did take stomach tablets with the pain killers but they still advised I came off them. I may ask again

It's worth asking but I'd guess that, if you were taking a stomach protector and still having problems, they won't want you back either on them or on the ones that Tiswas suggested.

I hope you'll find the boots help. It might take a while but I, literally, can hardly walk these days without my surgical shoes.

Tiswas - it's good to know I can still win some races :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • markstev234
    Options
    I did take stomach tablets with the pain killers but they still advised I came off them. I may ask again

It's worth asking but I'd guess that, if you were taking a stomach protector and still having problems, they won't want you back either on them or on the ones that Tiswas suggested.

I hope you'll find the boots help. It might take a while but I, literally, can hardly walk these days without my surgical shoes.

Tiswas - it's good to know I can still win some races :wink:

Thanks

So far I am very impressed with my boots
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good. I'm glad something, at least is helping.

A neighbour's twin boys were born with your problem and had to wear surgical boots for some years. They've been OK for years but now, in their early 50s, arthritis seems to be setting in.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello markstev234 and welcome to the forum
    Sorry you cant find anything that helps,if the meds effect your stomach like they do with mine you ask to try the But*an patches..they certainly help me..
    Love
    Barbara