Arthritis - He Does It His Way

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 24. Feb 2016, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Mr SW insists he doesn't have arthritis - just a spot of wear and tear in hips and lower back.

He had so much wear and tear recently that he spent money ( :o not his thing) seeing his physio, a lovely lass who knows her job. She told him his back was very glued up and did some work on it.

Me: “Did she give you any exercises?”

Him: “No. She said not until she'd freed it up a bit more.”

He had several sessions then proceeded to paint ceilings again (Oh don't ask!) Then he said it was bothering him again.

Me: “Didn't S. give you any maintenance exercises?”

Him: “Yes but I didn't bother. I was OK.”

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Today he was back on the golf course and came home saying his hip / back were playing up. “I didn't take the ibuprofen before I went out.” (He only takes ibuprofen for golfing purposes. His golf is drugs-assisted.)

“Take it now.”

He did some gardening then came in announcing he was going to sit down a bit as it was hurting.

“Did you take the ibuprofen?”

“No.”

“I'll brew up. Take it now with your cuppa and banana.”

I brewed up and took it to him. “When did it start?”

“While I was playing.”

“So, did you stop?”

“No, of course not :shock: ” The implication was that that was an absurd, over-the-top idea. "It wasn't bad then. It just got worse when we'd finished.”

I was so tempted to suggest that, in that case, he should go back and have another round. But my beloved merely has a 'spot of wear and tear'. He's 'not the sort of person who likes taking pills' (as if the rest of us are :x ). In the murky regions of his head he could still show the England bowlers how to bowl, the Wigan Warriors how to pass, run and tackle and, as for refs and umpires......
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Men! It's always all or nothing! Makes me think of all those wonderful (?) Voltarol ads, maybe you could get him some work there?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    And males wonder why we nag...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, the grand experience of enjoying good health yet again underlines its pointlessness. What does it contribute to the greater scheme of things? It doesn't prepare one for when things go wrong, either due to age or general infirmity.

I, sadly, count myself lucky that I've never known good health. It must make adjusting far harder for those who have.

You never know what you have lost until it's gone - it's far easier if you've never known it in the first place. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    This sounds so familiar, my hubby has arthritis in his knee and hip from and old injury..he doesn't need a stick he says..didnt think he would..and has for physio he went once and said it hurt so much hes not going back.. :? bless um...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    The following day he took a few ibuprofen – unbidden – and announced he was going to ask for an X-ray. Today he's been back painting and on Friday, no doubt, he'll be back on the golf course and Saturday we'll be back at square one :roll: I must be love :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright