Rollercoaster

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 19. Mar 2016, 08:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
I apologise for not posting much lately. Some of you will be aware that my sister's husband had a stroke just before Christmas. In fact, it has since been found not to have been a stroke, but a brain tumour.

The last fortnight has been a rollercoaster of emotions for our family, in particular for my sister & her daughter. There have been appointments, scans, & more scans, with me trying to be positive for my sister. Today, the neurologist said my BIL must have a biopsy, to determine the nature of the tumour. This should happen sooner rather than later.

My BIL has no family at all, my sister has me, and my limited energy reserves are seriously depleted. I don't like to ask for support, but right now I feel I need my 'cyber friends,' and I need some positive vibes.

Thank you in advance for listening.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Tezz! What a dreadful situation for all concerned. Of course you can't just walk away and not support your sister but....and it's a big but....it can be very difficult, in the midst of such an ongoing problem, to forget or ignore how limited our physical resources are.

No-one can ask you to be a lesser person than you are but please try to bear in mind that the more your own health and strength deteriorate the less help you can be to others.

I have no answers but, bearing in mind the forum will be down for upgrades tomorrow, I just wanted to come on now to offer some support. (((( ))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    (((()))) Mig
  • theresak
    Options
    Thank you Sticky, and Mig - things are tough, as the biopsy itself is a risky procedure, but must be done. My sister is 'up & down,' fearing the worst and hoping for the best. My own husband is brilliant - he's looking out for me, but I wish I could do more. I've said an awful lot of prayers - my faith is somewhat stronger than my creaking body!

My nasty cyst has reappeared, just to spice things up a bit, so I'm taking the penicillin again, but expect to have it drained sometime soon in an effort to prevent a third infection in it. I can cope with this, and the RA, as we all do, but would really love a decent night's sleep where my mind is not in overdrive.

Sorry for moaning - I'll try not to make a habit of it.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You will do whatever it takes and, if this forum can provide just a tiny corner in which you can tell it like it is then that's what you must do here. Everyone must be anxious, exhausted and living on their nerves and no wonder the cyst has returned.

I have no answers. I wish I had. ((( )))
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Options
    Thanks, Sticky - there are no answers : we just have to take each day as it comes. It is a help to know I can come on here & share with you all. Unfortunately the tumour has infiltrated the brain stem, so not a good outlook, but we have to keep hoping.

It's almost 20 years since my Mam died, and how I wish I could talk to her now - strange thoughts after all this time, but I think it's down to the situation in which we are.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    ((( ))) I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How's things? I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you very much.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Some extra hugs (((()))) X Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    So sorry I missed this, what an awful thing to have to go through for your BIL and and all of you..please try and look after yourself in all this Theresa...((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, for your support - you are really helping me.

BIL has his biopsy on Wednesday morning, at 8.30. Hopefully this will at least determine what options he has, if any. For a man who's rarely been ill in his life he is finding it hard to believe what is happening to him. I just hope things turn out not to be as bad as we've been led to believe. His balance is affected now, and he's tall and well-built, so my very slight, slim sister is struggling to help him.

I'm OK, more or less, just providing a shoulder for her, while my husband provides one for me. What will be will inevitably be.
  • theresak
    Options
    Just to say, my BIL`s brain tumour is inoperable, and with radiation therapy he may get 9 months. We are all devastated, and trying to be strong for each other. I may not be around much on the forum just at present.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, what dreadful news. I am so sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    We are so sorry to hear your news. Sending all our support and best wishes to you from the moderator team. You and your family are in our thoughts
    Best Wishes
    Moderator Sharon
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    So sorry to hear this sending gentle hugs to surround you (((((Theresak)))))
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • theresak
    Options
    Thank you so much - feeling a bit low today.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hello theresak
    i'm so sorry to read of your sad news we are all here to help you. ((((((((theresak))))))))
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx