Meaning of pain in the neck? Annoying, bothersome or tedious

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 29. Feb 2016, 04:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been fobbed off for a while with various reasons for my neck pain and associated nerve symptoms. At my most recent appt, rheum nurse said she appreciated my frustration because, after all, that's where the saying "pain the neck" originates from.

I haven't slept properly since late 2014 due to being woken by numbness and tingling in my hands every single night. So, I'm sure I'd be forgiven for thinking that this is a little more than annoying, bothersome or tedious. Fortunately for me, a locum GP realised that having stone cold hands with limited sensation in your little fingers is not normal and referred me for an MRI scan. The result today were...interesting. Far from being "stress related" or my personal favourite "psychological", I actually have multiple issues with my neck including; 3 herniated discs that are pressing on nerves, an overall straightening of the neck when it should be curved and something else complex that I didn't quite understand.

I know that we need to be our own advocates but it's been so exhausting to get to the point and it's only just beginning. Luckily, I already have a physio assessment in a couple of weeks but I shall be thrown into a new world of orthopaedics and neck 'stuff' soon.

I promise I won't be morose and self-pitying for too long. I need to kick myself into gear as it's my leaving lunch at work tomorrow and I can't be gloomy for that.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I guess it's really good news that you have finally got a diagnosis of something that is treatable but, sometimes, by the time we get to that point, it doesn't seem like good news at all just the promise of more hard graft in order to – probably – stay where we are rather than improve.

You have every right to feel morose and / or self-pitiful when you've had to work so hard, with no encouragement, just to get here. Some gentle treading of water is now required before you launch yourself into the next orthopaedic marathon.

I hope you can enjoy the leaving do, though. I'll have a dry white, please :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember a triumphant post from a past member entitled 'Vindication!' - she had been finally proved right that something was truly amiss and that the symptoms had not been imagined. Our conditions are so complex, the issues they can cause not vague but could be attributed to other causes, no wonder we're told it's psychological or stress-related.

Sometimes we have to nag and nag to be taken seriously, it's a shame but it happens. At least you have the skills to be your advocate, for those who don't or lack the self-confidence to speak up it's a daunting prospect. So, what now? Dr DD proposes a gentle time so you can regroup, take things as easy as possible and I hope you enjoy your lunch. You are a determined and resourceful young woman, if anyone can deal with this and sort it it's you. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you, both. I'm going through a whirlwind of emotions that seem to change from hour to hour. A peaceful weekend is on the cards, for sure.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I just goes to show that we should push our GPs, not good news but glad at least you know what is going on, I have to do my neck exercises every day , the best way is to use an heated wheat bag on there first..hope your Physio is a good help
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you. I have been using the wheat bag which is nice. I was using a TENS machine but it was making the nerve issues worse.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    How did the 'peaceful weekend' go, Sophie? Was it peaceful for a start? I hope so and that that has done some good. How are you feeling about things now? Has the 'whirlwind' abated to mere Gale Force yet? I hope so - and more.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright