Benign kidney tumours anyone?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 26. Feb 2016, 06:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had kidney stones for a few years and they are monitored by a urologist. I had a cystoscopy and ultrasound last week as part of this monitoring and now find that I've got one or two (not sure of number or size) benign tumours on my kidneys. These are fatty tumours called angiomyolipoma.

So, now I've got to have a CT scan with contrast next week so the urologist can have a good look at them. It's good that they are so thorough, but rather unsettling all the same. I think they're rare (of course!) but has anyone else had these?

Meg

PS - Hope it's OK for me to put this on the Living with Arthritis Forum.

Comments

• Megrose2
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you very much, Sharon. I'll post again when I've seen the urologist in clinic, after the CT scan. I'm hoping it will just be a case of closer monitoring.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Sorry, Meg. I've no experience of anything like this.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Meg, I have kidney probs and this was one thing they scanned me for but it was clear,all I know is that they are common and they keep an eye on them in case they get to big..hope you can get some proper answer when you next go back..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks, Sticky and Barbara. The urologist is extremely nice and very easy to talk to, so I'll be making out a list of questions!

I think it's the word 'tumour' that freaks me out, but, from what I have read, it is a matter of keeping an eye on them, as you said, Barbara. I've got a little cyst, as well as the stones, so there's plenty to monitor! :shock: On the plus side, my kidney function is fine.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not surprised that that word is unsettling but it has a wider medical sense than just cancer. I didn't tell my late Ma that humira is an anti-TNF (anti-tumour necrosing factor) for that very reason.

Good luck with the CT scan. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben