Sulphasalazine Stiff Neck

Options
JanieP
JanieP Member Posts: 4
edited 29. Feb 2016, 12:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone help? I've been on Sulphasalazine for 12 days, about a week age I had an unbearable headache. Not even 2x30/500mg co-codomol would shift it. Had a stiff neck since. Think it may be the new meds. Waiting for MRI scan for spine but have stopped meds today. Still on meloxicam etc. Feel poorly with headache. Had 120 mg Kenalog on Monday but not even that has helped stiff/sore neck! Hospital haven't suggested it's the Sulph. But I think it could be!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Janie P, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Janiep and welcome to the forum although I'm sorry you needed to find us when in such a tricky situation.

I've not taken sulph myself. I believe it can cause headaches though I'm not sure about a stiff neck. Did you mention these problems when you got your kenalog injection? If so, what was advised?

I assume the stiff neck is something new for you and not part and parcel of your arthritis. I suggest you ring your rheumatology helpline for advice on Monday but, if you are anxious that it might be more serious than a side effect of the sulph, contact your emergency NHS number over the weekend.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JanieP
    Options
    Thank you, I've called 111 and need to go to the hospital at 1:20pm. I'll keep you posted and thank you for your support.
    Janie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello JanieP and welcome to the forum, but sorry I cant offer any help, but just to say a stiff neck and headaches should be checked out so see your GP..hope it ease soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • JanieP
    Options
    Hello All,

I was prescribed 2mg Diazepam, only 10 tablets worth, to help with the pain.
    I need to ring my rheumy nurse tomorrow.
    I've slept lots but it has eased a little. I'm back at work tomorrow which will be a challenge!
    Thank you all again and I'm so glad that I chanced upon your site.
    Janie :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Work will certainly be a challenge tomorrow. I'm glad the diazepam has helped but, yes, do ring your rheumatology team to check this out. Sometimes DMARDS can produce unwanted side effects at first but, if we can persevere with them, they often go away.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I apologise for being late to your post but I am not living my usual life. :wink:

I am aware that sulph can cause headaches (it's one of the more common side effects) so what dose were you up to when this started? (My guess is one in the morning and one in the evening.) We all know on here that when something starts to hurt we alter the way we move so I wonder if you have been holding your head still to try to lessen the pain - hence the stiff neck. Leflunomide gave me corking headaches rather than tackle my arthritis so I empathise.

Another thought about the pain relief: sometimes it needs to be taken on a regular basis to help to ease a situation: if things build too much then one or two doses won't be enough. Good luck with work, I hope you are able to cope with it. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben