A question for ladies with back pain and bras!!!

Options
bing
bing Member Posts: 20
edited 12. Mar 2016, 14:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello ladies,
I have old fractures in my spine and the area that gets painful is just at bra strap level. I find normal bras and especially underwired so uncomfortable and even painful to wear, Ive tried the nylon type crop top soft ones which are better but the band which goes all round my body can still be uncomfortable.
Going without isnt helpful and pulls on my back too as Ive a dd cup.
Im currently trying a sports vest with an inner support area which doesnt have a band, ok but not so much support.
Have any of you found anything that works?
Julie

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sure one of the LADIES on the forum will help........... :!:
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • bing
    Options
    Well I have to say if any of the menfolk have any suggestions then thats good too but I suspect most dont wear bras or am I being sexist here?
    Julie
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;
    All I can do is send empathy. I have been going to try one for keeping the upper back supported but I haven't yet. I can find a link for you but I know they are made for riders. Even though I don't ride anymore, I thought one might help make my upper back more comfortable. Would something like that be helpful for you? I have a lot of damage in my upper spine and neck (and lower back) from Psa. It's resulted in curvature and a lot of pulling and strain, etc. I don't generally find the bra to blame but overdoing it and spending too much time on my feet seems to make it more painful. Sometimes I just have to get the bra off and lie flat for awhile until the pain eases. Sorry I don't have a definite solution. I guess I'm lucky, I'm small and can go braless when I'm painful :o
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Sorry. I have neither back pain ( much) nor, for many years, bras. I discarded mine in the 60's. I didn't have much to put in them in the first place and I decided arthritis and bras were a bad combination. I've never regretted it but, if you need them, I hope others can help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bing
    Options
    Bloomer13 my upper back has a curvature too, Ive never had the best posture but the fractures made it worse. I can relate to the pulling and stretching etc. When its feeling good the crop tops are fine but as soon as it starts to niggle its like a circle. I think I have seen those upper back supports, I shall look at them again and Im hoping to get back in the saddle soon myself which Im hoping will in turn help.

I would happily go without a bra but unfortunatly I do need some sort of support! Surely there must be a more comfy bra out there somewhere?.........
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Maybe a physio would have some info on a supportive bra and one which would be easy on your back? Or, a specialty bra shop?

Hopefully you find something to help.
  • bing
    Options
    Aha! I have had a bit of a breakthrough!
    It looks like post surgery bras might be the answer, Im currently looking at a few different ones but of course the most expensive one is the most appealing so far......
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Glad you seem to have it sorted. Pity you can't get it on prescription :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Sorry, im late to this post, but gosh how i sympathise.
    Unfortunately i am in the "big gal team" where i cannot get away with going braless outside of the house, but inside i can just cover them with a fleecy nightshirt so its not see through and tuck them into me knickers.
    :lol:

Hips xx