Hangry

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 8. Mar 2016, 11:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
What a great and accurate description. For those who don't know what it means; "bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger" or so says the OED. :lol: Just in time to ensure I have a great (ha!) last few days at work, I've woken up with oral thrush and more ulcers than I have fingers. My throat feels funny, so I'm wondering if I could have a sore there too. I have a weird tasting mouthwash which is giving me some relief but not enough to let me eat, so I am hangry. I may or may not have thrown a toddler-style tantrum when I couldn't break the seal of the mouthwash but I shall blame that on being hangry too.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That sounds horrible. I do hope you don't have any in your throat as that would be even worse and scary too. I have no words of wisdom but I'll risk a few ((( )))s.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Thank you for increasing my vocabulary.....when our twins were tiny (they're 30 now and that makes me feel ancient) I wish I'd known the word as they used to throw the most amazing toddler tantrums when they were hungry....I quickly learned to arm myself with snacks when we went out to avert disaster!
    On a serious note, that sounds really grim, I hope that the mouth settles soon so you can return to some decent food, in the meantime it may be a good excuse to eat less healthy soft or kiddy foods like custard and rice pudding, or maybe yoghurt if you want healthier options.

Gentle hugs coming your way ((((( )))))). xx
    Deb
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Well, that caught my attention!

Hope you feel better soon. I'd recommend cheesy mash. Lots of butter and grated cheese. You'll get calcium then for your bones.

Be kind to yourself.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Ah very good Sophie!

Not trying to be posh, but failing like I thought, (My Charley used to called her fingers 'thingers' as in thumbs not 'fums'), but a new word.

My youngest,Lucy gets nystatin for her oral thrush when it happens....tastes a bit strong, but works as it is often further down your gullet that you think....;)

GraceB makes a nice bland and sensible suggestion???

Love

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So sorry to hear that, it sounds really miserable. Like the word though. Hope things get better soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I am pleased to report much lower levels of hangriness today. I've found smooth peanut butter to be both filling and soothing. I've eaten about 3/4 of a jar already which will do nothing positive for my waistline :? but I'm happier which is the main thing.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    glad to see you have found something you can eat, ulcer are so painful..no wounder you are angry come hungry..hope they clear up very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good. Whatever works for you right now, Sophie. Try adding a mashed up banana. They go surprisingly well together.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    I feel for u starburst, after my rituximab I suffered for 4 weeks with mouth ulcers and possibly oral thrush trying to eat was horrendous I used corsadol mouth wash in the end along with antifungal from docs and it was the only mouth wash that really helped. Hope u shake them off soon xx