Options
Cazziej63
Cazziej63 Member Posts: 10
edited 11. Mar 2016, 03:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my name is Caz. I am 52 years old and have recently been diagnosed with severe osteo arthritis in my spine. I also have severe facet joint degeneration of my lower spine. It has resulted in me being medically retired from work. Am heartbroken. As I live in Stoke there is no local support group so I would be glad of any support or advice any of you lovely members may have. Thanks X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Caz

Welcome to the forums although very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

Although I didn't find a local support group for Stoke on Trent, if you put your location into the search box on this page, it does come back with the nearest Arthritis Care branches you might like to contact:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/branches-and-groups

Do read across the forums. I look forward to reading your posts.
    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Caz,I have RA and lupus so can't really help you I'm sure someone will come along soon that can,anyway welcome,check out chit chat . Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi Caz and welcome from me too. I have RA and what OA I have is a consequence of that. My back pretty good though but we have a lot of 'back people' on here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of support. (No pun intended :roll: )

The advantage of a forum, over a meeting group, is that we're always here every day so I hope you won't miss not having a branch in Stoke.

Join in anywhere on any thread. We don't bite :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Caz and a warm welcome form me
    I have OA in my spine lumber and the neck...there are facet joint injections they didnt help me but other get lots of relief from them, physio is your best option just to keep the spine moving and strengthen the muscle around it...Im so sorry they have finish you at work, it must be hard..maybe a visit to cab would help..I thank my lucky stars that I was retired before being diagnosed..hope you can get some help soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your comments. Sorry still tying to get my head around the forum. Not even sure if I am replying properly. Am on iPad at the moment so might be different than my laptop.
    I have tried injections but didn't help at all. Had nearly a year of physio which didn't help either. Am on high dose painkillers which only take the edge of it.
    Am still a beginner so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Caz you are doing fine and in the right place,I am about to have my second hip replaced then they want me to make my mind up about an op or two on my back but I dont want to go down that rd, have you been prescibed pregabalin or gabapentin..they have help me , and will stay on then if I dont have the op...I find co-codamols and tramadol dont help my back, I have butran patches much easier on the tummy.
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Caz
    I'm surprised there isn't a group somewhere in Stoke. Never mind we are here but I find that its good to have the group once a month, and all the activities they do in between as well as here
    You are posting on the correct place ...Someone will soon tell you if you arent :lol:
    I've got OA, had 2 hip replacements, OA in my spine ankle and neck. Also scoliosis and osteoporosis......think that's enough to be going on with :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hello welcome to the forum.

I have OA both knees (one replaced; the other needs replacing), my left ankle needs fusing and I've been offered - and refused - a spinal fusion L5-L4-L3. I also have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine.

I've had facet joint spinal injections and the sciatic nerve injected. None of them worked but that doesn't mean they won't work for you.

See if you can be referred to a physio so you can keep your joints moving. Follow GP instructions re what you can and can't do. Keep posting on here - we all help one another out with support.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA but in easier places (if that's a reasonable term) namely my ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders. Pain relief is disappointing in what it doesn't achieve so we have to learn to live with slightly dulled pain as opposed to completely removed pain. To have your back affected must be very difficult because it's a crucial part of the body. That's undoubtedly tough. :(

One of the joys of the forum is that you are speaking to the initiated, we are all affected by various versions of the disease and all struggle from time to time with the meds, the exercises, appointments, the pain and the frustration of things getting harder rather than easier. I'm close to ending my twentieth year of this malarkey and now rarely look back to how things were because that is pointless: I have what I have, it isn't getting better and it won't go away so head down and elbows out girl! I've made many changes to things in the house (including the house itself :wink: ) and to how I do things; 'do a little and rest a little' has been my mantra for some time.

Physio is important for the muscles surrounding the affected joints but it won't ease the underlying cause of the trouble. We need to keep our muscles as strong and flexible as possible to better support the joints, I still do my post-op exercises plus others that have been added along the way. I stopped work a few years ago but I was fortunate in that I was self-employed - I have to say I don't miss it and wonder how I carried on for so long. I miss the daily contact with people though, arthritis can be isolating. Do you have family and friends around to help out with things? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the AC forum family, we do all try and look out for each other and give our support and advice where we can, although it's not nice that you have had to find us but you have come to the right place.
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    mig wrote:
    Hi Caz,I have RA and lupus so can't really help you I'm sure someone will come along soon that can,anyway welcome,check out chit chat . Mig

Hi
    thanks for reply. Still not sure how to reply on here. The only button i can see is one that says reply with quote. Is that what i use?
    thanks
    Caz
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    Hi Caz and welcome from me too. I have RA and what OA I have is a consequence of that. My back pretty good though but we have a lot of 'back people' on here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of support. (No pun intended :roll: )

The advantage of a forum, over a meeting group, is that we're always here every day so I hope you won't miss not having a branch in Stoke.

Join in anywhere on any thread. We don't bite :D

Hi thanks for advice
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Caz
    I'm surprised there isn't a group somewhere in Stoke. Never mind we are here but I find that its good to have the group once a month, and all the activities they do in between as well as here
    You are posting on the correct place ...Someone will soon tell you if you arent :lol:
    I've got OA, had 2 hip replacements, OA in my spine ankle and neck. Also scoliosis and osteoporosis......think that's enough to be going on with :lol:
    Love
    Hileena

Hi Helena
    Doesnt look like Stoke have a lot to offer at all. But hopefully chatting on here will help a bit. Sorry not replied sooner just come out of hospital. Looks like you have a lot to put up with
    thanks again
    Caz
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Hello welcome to the forum.

I have OA both knees (one replaced; the other needs replacing), my left ankle needs fusing and I've been offered - and refused - a spinal fusion L5-L4-L3. I also have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine.

I've had facet joint spinal injections and the sciatic nerve injected. None of them worked but that doesn't mean they won't work for you.

See if you can be referred to a physio so you can keep your joints moving. Follow GP instructions re what you can and can't do. Keep posting on here - we all help one another out with support.

GraceB

Hi Grace
    I have tried the facet joint injections but they didnt help at all. Am going to be trying swimming soon so hoping that might help me a bit.
    My worst thing is sitting upright. Honest the pain is unbearable so i end up lying on my left side. Weird really.
    My Gp is brill so thats a big help. I know some Gps are better than others so i am lucky there. He has been very supportive.
    I have had extensive physio and they dont think they can help me anymore. So will just see how i go.
    Thanks again
    Caz x
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Caz you are doing fine and in the right place,I am about to have my second hip replaced then they want me to make my mind up about an op or two on my back but I dont want to go down that rd, have you been prescibed pregabalin or gabapentin..they have help me , and will stay on then if I dont have the op...I find co-codamols and tramadol dont help my back, I have butran patches much easier on the tummy.

Hi Barbara
    I have tried pregabalin and gabapentin in the past but didnt really help. I am allergic to the Butrans patches so am on fentanyl now which at least help me to function a bit even if make me quite tired.
    Thanks for replying
    Caz
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I have OA but in easier places (if that's a reasonable term) namely my ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders. Pain relief is disappointing in what it doesn't achieve so we have to learn to live with slightly dulled pain as opposed to completely removed pain. To have your back affected must be very difficult because it's a crucial part of the body. That's undoubtedly tough. :(

One of the joys of the forum is that you are speaking to the initiated, we are all affected by various versions of the disease and all struggle from time to time with the meds, the exercises, appointments, the pain and the frustration of things getting harder rather than easier. I'm close to ending my twentieth year of this malarkey and now rarely look back to how things were because that is pointless: I have what I have, it isn't getting better and it won't go away so head down and elbows out girl! I've made many changes to things in the house (including the house itself :wink: ) and to how I do things; 'do a little and rest a little' has been my mantra for some time.

Physio is important for the muscles surrounding the affected joints but it won't ease the underlying cause of the trouble. We need to keep our muscles as strong and flexible as possible to better support the joints, I still do my post-op exercises plus others that have been added along the way. I stopped work a few years ago but I was fortunate in that I was self-employed - I have to say I don't miss it and wonder how I carried on for so long. I miss the daily contact with people though, arthritis can be isolating. Do you have family and friends around to help out with things? DD

Hi DD
    You are so right there. I have had to learn to live with dulled pain rather than the unbearable pain.
    It is very tough having to finish work but am ok now and have accepted things. I also do a little then have a rest.
    I wish i knew why it is unbearable to sit upright. I end up having to lean on my left side all the time. the pain shoots down my spine and into my right bum cheek and down my right leg sometimes. Its a good job people cant hear the noises i make sometimes lol
    Yes it is isolating that's why i was hoping to find a support group in Stoke but the nearest one is Stafford and i would find it very hard to travel that distance. I have a great partner and my girls who are brill. Also have some good friends. So i should be grateful for what i do have really. Just easier talking to people who are suffering similar problem i suppose.
    Thanks again
    Caz
  • Cazziej63
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:

Hi DD
    You are so right there. I have had to learn to live with dulled pain rather than the unbearable pain.
    It is very tough having to finish work but am ok now and have accepted things. I also do a little then have a rest.
    I wish i knew why it is unbearable to sit upright. I end up having to lean on my left side all the time. the pain shoots down my spine and into my right bum cheek and down my right leg sometimes. Its a good job people cant hear the noises i make sometimes lol
    Yes it is isolating that's why i was hoping to find a support group in Stoke but the nearest one is Stafford and i would find it very hard to travel that distance. I have a great partner and my girls who are brill. Also have some good friends. So i should be grateful for what i do have really. Just easier talking to people who are suffering similar problem i suppose.
    Thanks again
    Caz
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Caz
    I've had the facet joint injections as well and they didn't work for me
    That is not to say they wont work for you
    Different things work for different people so good luck

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sometimes it's very easy to forget that we have better things going on in our lives because we come too focused on what we've lost and cannot do, rather than on what we have and can.

Regarding the pain when sitting upright I wonder if some nerves are being compressed or affected in some other ways by the arthritis? By the way you're doing fine with the replying, it takes time to become used to layouts and actions etc. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben