B***** terrified

Options
Wobblylegs
Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
edited 10. Mar 2016, 04:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is that normal? I haven't posted on here for quite some time as I was supposed to have my TKR last September but my MS decided otherwise and put me through another relapse.

So my op date if THURSDAY, yes that's right 3 days time. I'm absolutely terrified and trying not to think about it!

I am very allergic to Codeine as only one 30mg tablet saw me in A&E being threatened to never touch the stuff again, even over the counter ones, by a consultant after my arthroscopy. I am so very reactive to drugs that making the staff understand that they must start with tiny amounts as my body can go into overdrive very quickly is what I'm really scared of?

So tell me please those who have had a TKR were you scared too? :?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes. It's perfectly normal to be scared. I get more scared each time (2 x THRs, 3 x TKRs) because I think we become more aware of what can go wrong.

My solution is to do all in my power to tilt the odds in my favour. So, in your situation, I'd explain what's happened in the past at pre-op and on admittance and I'd let the staff know I was scared. Then I'd forget about it. If I've done all I can then the rest is in the lap of the gods and I just relax and get on with it. Your anaesthetist will be clued up. (Tell him too.) The experienced nurses in recovery will be clued up and, by the time you get back to a normal ward, you'll be able to tell them yourself what you do / don't want.

Go for it and enjoy the knee. I got 27 years out of my first one and still have its 35 yr old counterpart :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thank you Sticky a Wicket that sounds like a sensible, relaxed and effective method to use :)

Maybe it's my panicked state that made me think of all the things that can go wrong :shock:

I've just spoken to pre op department again to and they have flagged it on the surgery system and told me to bring the copy of a letter I have from a detailed chat with an anaesthetist previously. Talk about edging your bets lol

Once more thanks for the quick reply.
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Sorry stickywicket damn autocorrect spoiled your wonderful handle :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I think that was a good move on your part. It's all too easy to think of all that can go wrong at this point but there is soooo much to go right.

I won't be around much in the next few days as I'm off on my hols but I shall be thinking of you and hoping all goes well.

(I love my new username. It sounds vaguely French and aristocratic :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Wobblylegs
    Yes its very normal to be scared, I haven't had a TKR but had a THR..and boy was I scared and told hubby you will never get me in, the date came and off I went..I really surprised myself, I am down for the other one on the 17th of this month, and yes I'm scared again but better prepared.. :) hope all goes well and wishing you a good recovery
    Love
    Barbara
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thanks stickywicket and Barbara12 it's comforting to know that it's normal to feel this way.

I guess I'll just think of how well you guys have done and get in with it .

Pat xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I've had a TKR (a partial to be technically correct). Yes I was scared. I knew I needed it doing, I knew I couldn't carry on without it being sorted but I was scared even though I'd had numerous ops to that knee before.

After my op I was out of bed the following day. My pain was kept under control well but I am able to tolerate pain meds and I know you can't.

As the others have suggested, be honest with the staff on the ward about your challenges with pain meds.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Please let us know how you get on. I'll be thinking of you

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thanks GraceB I really appreciate both your ideas and best wishes x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's entirely natural to be worried about surgery but I have always taken the view that it's going to help and make a difference to the quality of my life - and they all have. I have not has any replacements as yet but it's a possibility.

Good luck and I wish you well, I hope the MS stays shut in its box for the foreseeable future. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Wobblylegs only just realised its this thursday,good luck with the op I'm sure you will be fine we will all be with you. hugs (((()))) Mig
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Aawwww thanks so much to all of you X

It is this Thursday, the 10th March, though I don't think I'll have much time to fill when I get there. The hospital is a one hour drive away, I have to be there for 7:15am and I'm 2nd on the theatre list!

I am so grateful to all of you it has calmed me down enormously to be so reassured :D

I am still nervous about post op pain relief with my drug issues but I may be kept in recovery a little longer to sort that out I've been told. There's been so much to think about with the MS and spinal anesthesia and the drugs. But you guys have been brilliant, thanks again.

I'll be in touch on the other side with a new knee yikes! :D
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I reckon it will be tough at first but when the days pass, as you do the post-op exercises and things improve, I hope you will feel encouraged; we will be here to cheer you along. :) I wish you well. DD
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I reckon it will be tough at first but when the days pass, as you do the post-op exercises and things improve, I hope you will feel encouraged; we will be here to cheer you along. :) I wish you well. DD

Thank you DD x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes its perfectly normal......haven't had TKR's but have had THR's and my second one I was petrified.
    As for the tablets can you not talk to the consultant about them.
    My first THR I was on tramadol and then for the 6 weeks afterwards. I was high as a kite.....I didn't realise it was the tramadol, thought it was just the after effects of the op at first.
    So when it came to my 2nd one I specifically said I didn't want tramadol.
    They were happy with that and put it on my notes.
    I've got scoliosis and they had problems with the first one getting the injection in the right place. I sat on the theatre bed with legs dangling and them behind me saying to each other "I cant find the right place etc etc this seemed to go on for ages.
    Then someone said "Get Max he can sort anyone out" and someone came and got it sorted right away. I told the consultant about that as well when it was coming up to my 2 THR that was put on my notes as well.
    When I went in for the 2nd one different people came to talk to me before I had it and one man said HI I'm Max I'll do the spinal block this time. I'm the one that rescued you the last time :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck for today, I am sure it will all go smoothly and you will be OK. Come back soon to let us know how you got on, yes? I wish you well. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck thinking of you today. Mig
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Thinking about you this morning. I hope it all goes well for you.

Meg