Abatacept

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 21. Mar 2016, 19:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I've just returned from a Rheumy appointment and she has suggested to go on Abatacept.
I am on Methotrexate at the moment and will carry on with that as well as the Abatacept.

As with any new drug taking, it is nerve wracking and I was just wondering if anyone else is on this drug and how did you get on with?

I worry so much about side effects and the increased cancer risks!!

Any info would be appreciated.

Emma x
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is one I haven't tried but I have continued with the meth and sulph alongside the anti TNFs etc. that I have taken. Is this going to be via infusion or injection?

I don't worry about side-effects because other health issues can rock up regardless of the arthritis and the meds. If a drug is going to help improve the quality of my life then that, to me, is the most important thing; I learned that around the age of 12 when I was given my first inhalers which saved my life. I do understand, however, that starting another drug is always a leap into the unknown and is not easy to do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Emma
    the side effects of drugs can be frightening to consider and taking them is a very personal decision with weighing up the positives with the possible negatives. As regards the cancer scare you might like to read this article from the British society or rheumatologists. http://www.rheumatology.org.uk/about_bsr/press_releases/biologics_cancer.aspx
    I hope that will at least reassure you on that front. There may well be someone on the forum who has tried it and will be able to share their experience with you. If you have questions you can always phone our helpline on 0808 800 4050
    Best Wishes
    Moderator Sharon
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    Thank you both for replying.

The article is very interesting and reassuring.

I think I will give it a go and see how I am on it.
    LOVE EMMA X
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    I had Abatacept infusions for a number of months, and although they didn't help me as my RA is so very aggressive, the infusions themselves were fine. I'd recommend drinking at least 2 litres of water the day before the infusion, along with taking a hot water bottle to put on your arm/hand to help bring up the veins. Likewise I tend to slap wherever the cannula is going as it makes it easier for the nurse to find the vein. Again, my body being difficult!

The only side effect I had was a headache, and needing to rest the day after the infusion. I'd recommend taking a book/newspaper to distract you while the needle goes in, other than that it's a really quick procedure. If I remember correctly, the infusion itself is about 1hr 30 minutes so passes in no time :)