Fed Up

Options
rayray
rayray Member Posts: 115
edited 15. Mar 2016, 14:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry to sound so gloomy but I'm on a bit of a downer at the moment. I saw my GP this week.

Although I have seen them over the last 10 years they seem to have no clue about my health and I have to explain it yet again.

Anyway I have been given a sick note for three months which they will automatically renew at the end of that period so have now claimed ESA as I can't seek work at the moment.

Explained the searing pain in both wrists when I use them which weren't examined, 'must be neurological' and put down to my neck. I had asked if there was anything I could do to stop them hurting or prevent them getting worse but no, they will be looked at if they don't get better after neck surgery.

All frustrating but the real reason I am on such a downer is that I feel so cut off from everything. The severe nerve pain from my neck is stopping me from sitting or using my arm and it seems to be getting worse each week. Have chased my consultants secretary and should get surgery in 2-3 months.

Sorry to whinge and I am lucky the surgery offers a solution but just feeling so isolated especially as travelling anywhere is too painful at the moment and has been most of the time over the last four years.

On a positive note we have decided to move from our small village which has few facilities to somewhere with things to do within walking distance. Likely to do this after my surgery though.

I'm not expecting any solutions I just needed to vent a bit. Thanks for letting me!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aww dont apologize for the moan, its good to talk and get it all out,have you not been offered physio for your hands then they could get you hand supports..they do help, has for being cut off I understand this has were we live its so far from any public transport, and walking with crutches is nearly impossible has on our side we dont have a pavement..who knows this might just be the push you needed to move..and get somewhere that you can settle and get out and about..let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is difficult at times, isn't it? Whenever I see my GP or rheumatologist I remind myself that I am one of the hundreds they see every once-in-a-while so I may need to provide some basic info about my troubles. I live in a large town, the eight GPs in my practice now share 21,000 patients between them, not a workload I envy.

Arthritis can be an isolating disease because we can be limited by what we can and cannot do. It is also difficult for people around us to understand that because we were relatively OK last week this week we're not because our conditions are not predictable. I'm saddened but not surprised that whoever you saw didn't examine your wrists or try a range of actions to see which caused the most trouble.

I think moving is a good idea, as we age it becomes more important to live within an easier reach of shops, surgeries, libraries, vets etc. You mention scheduled surgery (which I hope helps) - when is that due to happen?

Don't forget the AC forum is here and not only for the bad times. Take care and look after yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You have my sympathy as I know exactly how hard pain in the arms can be. In terms of the waiting time for surgery that does seem a long wait. When I was told I needed surgery I was given a wait time of 6-8 weeks and told I needed to go sick until I had recovered. It can be worth phoning up your hospital and saying you are willing to accept a cancellation appointment if one comes up. I think part of the issue is the complex nature of the surgery so it is a consultant job.
    Good luck.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your kind replies. The severe pain of the last two weeks has calmed down and is now back to its normal self. The weather has been so lovely here today and I have been able to walk the dog so that has really cheered me up.

My consultant offered surgery in six weeks from last January BUT we have a holiday booked. It was booked last summer as we thought I would be 'better' or had the surgery - whoops. Anyway the consultant recommended that we continue with the holiday and she would do the surgery a week after my return. I don't think it has quite worked though but I am going to try and sort it out this week if I can.

One major issue I have Slosh is that my left arm and shoulder are so stiff and painful that I can't sit and type. The pain is often so bad I really can't use the keyboard at all or it is like it is now where I have to lean back into a easy chair and support the arm. Is yours like this? I am really hoping that this part of it goes along with the inability to sit up right or in the car.

We have worked out a strategy for getting to our holiday destination the first part of which is to travel to the airport (or just outside) the day before so that I can rest up before we have to do the flight. Have also up graded the flight so I can lie down - we were supremely lucky and managed to get an amazing deal - it was that or cancel the holiday! We are both a bit worried about it and whether it was the right call but it was what my surgeon suggested so we have gone with it.

Thanks again and I have my smiley face back on. :)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Yes I know the pain you mean. I get it in both arms and it can be really debilitating. As well as the pain I often find my arms just feel to heavy to lift and having to use crutches to walk doesn't help matters. I always try to keep my arms/shoulders supported when sitting and at work, and on my laptop at home I use voice activated software. Hope you get your appointment through soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    How are you feeling today rayray, or is that a silly question..I do hope things are improving for you, and you are getting some help..
    Love
    Barbara