Residential

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 14. Mar 2016, 19:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all.

Got back yesterday after 5 days residential in the Yorkshire dales. I walked/caved! Ghyll scrambled and walked some more. Ate lots :roll:

I took your advise. Took a mountaineering stick. Made sure I bathed every evening to help relax joints. Padded the mattress with a duvet underneath me. And inflating roll mat. Took my electric blanket also.
I stiffened up and had twinges but on the whole coped ok. ( even with lack of sleep) however since coming home ! I'm bushed! In lots of pain etc.

What is going on ???

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm glad all went well and on reading what you did I'm not surprised that you're now feeling the after affects! Just remember how often teachers are ill over holidays because they kept going all term. School journeys are always hard work, you are essentially on duty 24/7 and accidents/problems can arise how ever well planned, and no matter how many risk assessments are completed. You kept going for the week, took a full part in what was on offer and I bet all your "healthy " colleagues who went are feeling shattered this weekend.
    Award yourself a gold star achievement reward and now, if needs be take a day or two off work to recover.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Slosh you are so right!

I beat myself up about not being able to do it all! - like you said my colleagues are feeling it too. I was the first up every morning and was the only adult on the boys floor ( 20 of em) and don't think I shut off or relaxed once. Which is why I'm feeling it now.

I've tried taking things easier this weekend. But trying to catch up with home jobs and looking after my children n hubby. Feet up in a bit.

Thankyou for your reply.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Did I miss read something? I presume you meant being looked after by children and hubbie!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    No sloth was right the first time :cry:
    They feel they've done their bit by looking after themselves for the week whilst I was away :roll:

Hey ho bath b bed now ! X

Night X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is an undoubted link for all of us between cause and effect. Our various conditions (and the meds, especially steroids) can sometimes lull us into a false sense of security leading us to think we can still do the things we're used to doing (or even push ourselves a little further). Once the immediate demands are over (in this case on your return home) our bodies remind us that we are not as we used to be and won't be ever again. I finally learned to stop an activity when I think I can do more because I know that way trouble lies. That, however, is harder for you as you are still working. Arthritis of any kind does not mix well with family, social or working life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Of course you are bushed and in pain, but bet you are really proud of yourself..good for you :) hopefully you can now rest and recover..
    Love
    Barbara
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thankyou for all your kind replies X

I am gently recovering . Think I'll give it a miss next year X

Will be 40 then 8) however I am the 2nd youngest :shock: I think this disease doesn't like active weeks like last week !!

Hey ho X