Options
2»

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Great news! Well done.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    Great news! Well done.

Thanks Slosh :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Brilliant :D And well deserved.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thanks so much to all for your help so far. I had staples taken out yesterday, day 13, the nurse was pleased with how it looked and I must say the scar is very neat! I've seen some much worse!

She recommended I get some bio oil as when the final dressing comes off I should massage that into the scar as it will help keep it supple? Have any of you done that?

Plus I was a little fed up that I woke yesterday with a streaming head cold. I never get them, so it was a real surprise. I'm assuming that it won't be a problem. I'm going to take some Corvonia to try and keep it off my chest. Has anyone else ever had to deal with silly bugs post op? Is there anything I need to be aware of?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was given a small amount of bio oil by my hospital, after his appendectomy Mr DD used an oil by Palmers - same dog, different piece of string and his scar is now invisible (but it is a great deal smaller than a TKR one). Baby oil is just as good, apply any of these very gently indeed. If you begin feel a tingling in your scar in the future, lightly drum your fingertips over that area, I was told that it was caused by nerves re-growing and the drumming helps to stimulate them.

Life carries on regardless of what we are currently undergoing and that includes colds and infections. You are naturally at a lower ebb than usual so please ensure that anyone who comes into contact with you has a good spray of hand gel or thoroughly washes their hands. We have wipes on-the-go everywhere round here at the moment thanks to a vile stomach bug which, needless to say, is affecting me far more than him. Keep yourself well-hydrated and I hope it comes to nought. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thanks to everyone on here for the wonderful help. I've taken my last injection today and my head cold is clearing nicely. I feel much calmer today even though it's still very early days.

I'll keep you updated on my journey but I just wanted to say thanks for getting me through the panic xxx :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things going? I hope the cold has fully cleared and you are feeling better and brighter in yourself. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello wobblylegs
    I am just catching up on post, and I am so glad to read the physio was really helpful, and you now have extra exercises..dont forget its all down to your hard work ..good the the injections have finish I have 20 something to go...wishing you a good recovery..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Hi Barbara and DD, so nice of you to think of me.

Yes my cold has cleared thankfully! Passed it to my Poor Hubble I'm afraid though - he can cope!

I can't believe it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my op, it feels longer lol.

I had a good nights sleep the night before last for the first time but I had Physio yesterday and it upset my knee a little so I didn't sleep too well last night. She didn't push me, we just tried a couple of new exercises but my knee wasn't ready for them just yet so we dropped them. She's very good and doesn't push me unless I want to try.

My bend was 85 and flexion 0, I'm happy with that at this stage. Does that sound about right? After all I'm doing this with no strong painkillers just paracetamol and ice!

How are you getting on Barabara?
    Wobbly xx
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Update: and there I was thinking that my cold was the only issue to worry about. I woke up Saturday morning with an awful attack of vertigo, a first for me even with my MS which causes dizziness but not vertigo.

GP on the out of hours service diagnosed Labrynthitis and prescribed Prochlorperazine to help with the sickness and spinning world! He based this on the my description of symptoms and the fact that I'd had a cold (virus) and a major stressor (the op).

The knee recovery is going well, I'm sleeping well the pain has become much easier to bear with just the paracetamol and my recovery seems to be going well on that front. But it's a mini setback as I can't get to Physio this week :-(

Just thought I'd update everyone in progress.
    Wobbly xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh no, I am so sorry, this is the last thing you needed but our bodies rarely oblige us with behaving when we need them to. :x

I think we are generally left much weakened after major surgery, probably more than we realise. Surgery is a major trauma to the body (and I don't use the T word lightly). Its after-effects rumble on, it's challenging enough for the healthy but for the likes of us its impact can run much deeper. Don't fret about missing your physio, you know the exercises and I am sure you will do them when you can. Keep the physio department informed about your situation so you don't end up being discharged! In the mean time, be kind to yourself, be a patient patient (which is hard) and let us know how you are getting on. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Wobbly..
    What a shame you have this to deal with and you were doing so well,, I think you now need some rest has well has the exercises..dont worry about getting to physio ...just carry on with what they have told you..and I hope you feel much better very soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Thanks Barbara and DD,

I truly appreciate your good wishes. You ladies have helped me more than you know over the last few weeks. I'm four weeks post op today! I might have a party lol.

I've updated on my progress on Barabaras thread.

:cheers:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I hope you did find a way to celebrate as you thoroughly deserve it, Wobbly, though maybe not in the form of a glass or two, given the labyrinthitis :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    I hope you did find a way to celebrate as you thoroughly deserve it, Wobbly, though maybe not in the form of a glass or two, given the labyrinthitis :wink:

I've been T total for more than 20 years! Lol. An extra coffee is my limit. xxx

:D
  • yiayia3
    yiayia3 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Wobblylegs You have had some great advice from everyone,just to say I had TKR 2 years ago and I used an icepack every few hours helped a lot,it is hard at first but it does get better I promise.I will be going through it all again with the second knee at the end of the year not looking forward to it but will be worth it.
    Lots of T.LC for you take care YiaYia
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Gosh, that mention of angles has taken me right back to my first synovectomy on my left knee. I went from 30 degrees of bend, to 40, then 45, 50 and so my progress crawled on.

I have no doubt that you are doing well, Wobbly, just be a patient patient. :wink: And hello to YiaYia, it's lovely to see you joining in. DD
  • Wobblylegs
    Options
    Hello YiaYia really pleased to meet you.

Yes the advice on here has been amazing and I've been icing for 20 mins at least 6 times a day. I've even iced at 4 in the morning in the first couple of weeks lol. Helps to have an understanding hubbie to fetch the ice and tea at that time lol. I'm sure you'll get lots of support here too.

Thanks DD, your support, advice and just being there as a shoulder has been invaluable to me through this. Patient patient is not a phrase I'm very good with but I'm learning :hammock:

Wobbly xx