Wine

Options
ColinJ
ColinJ Member Posts: 46
edited 18. Mar 2016, 05:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not been seen by the Rhumo yet,but I do enjoy a couple of glasses of red wine at night and on holiday,will that be possible when I am on medication

Colin

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Depends on the medication, Colin, but usually we are asked to stay alcohol free until the blood tests show that the meds aren't affecting our livers. After that, we should proceed8ceed with caution. How big is a glass? On a recent flight I asked for a dry white and was given a tumbler full. At leat 1/3 pinr if not 1/2. I did not look this gifthorse in the mouth but heroically refused a second one. I am blessed with a good liver and my blood tets are always well within recomended levels.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know that sulphasalazine is OK with alcohol but the other meds depend upon how your liver behaves. My hospital advised three dry months when I began the methotrexate so that base liver levels could be established; that was years ago and I know that I am OK with wine. The one thing that seriously deranged my liver was Enbrel, a saviour for many on here but the devil's med for me!

The rule of thumb used to be no alcohol at all but I think that has relaxed somewhat - it is essential, however, to establish how your liver copes with processing the medication. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ColinJ
    Options
    Thanks for your replies,it's nots so gloom and doom as I thought it would be,I know the rhumo that I am booked in to see, is also my daughters rhumo,and by all accounts he's a big fan of methotraxete,as my daughters been on Humira for quite sometime now and she's just had a flare up,and she's been put back on methotraxete

Colin
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    No its not doom and gloom providing you go regularly and have your blood tested. I normally have a bottle on a Friday ( and occasionally on a Saturday too) lol. I am on triple, metx, lefludomide and hydroxy. Maybe I am just lucky, but my liver seems to cope ok.
  • ColinJ
    Options
    No its not doom and gloom providing you go regularly and have your blood tested. I normally have a bottle on a Friday ( and occasionally on a Saturday too) lol. I am on triple, metx, lefludomide and hydroxy. Maybe I am just lucky, but my liver seems to cope ok.

Thanks Elaine for your reply, I don't have anymore on Saturday night than I do on a Tuesday night, I have a normal wine glass not one of those big wine glasses,and I have about half a glass of wine in them but (2 of them),I don't drink the strong reds,the one I have is BLOSSOM HILL SOFT & FRUITY which is 12% strength which is more or less the entry level for a wine.

Cheers Colin
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I might be the wrong person to reply to this :oops: I drink what I want, when I want, and that can be, I'm sure, too much. Having said that, I do have regular blood tests, and so far have had no problems, if I did, I'd definitely reconsider .... my meds :lol: just kidding.
    As others have said, have regular blood tests and see how your liver copes with the meds.
    I'm on 20mg injected Methotrexate, 162mg injected Tocilizumab, Sulfasalazine, Hydroxychloroqine, Prednisolone, Piroxicam, Solpodol, Tramadol, Amitriptyline and the usual Omeprazole, Folic acid, Alendronic acid, Ferrous Sulfate and Calfovit D 3 to take care of the side effects. After that lot I feel I deserve a drink, especially as my disease is still not controlled!
    You will find your own limits, good luck.

Sticky, I think I need to fly with you next time :wink:
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: Numpty, you do as much for my wellbeing as both wine and meds. Have you considered sponsorship from the pharmaceutical industry?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's such an individual thing, what works for one may not work for another so it is important to establish what is normal for you without alcohol so you can immediately see if your liver becomes too stressed.

I take injected humira, injected meth and sulph tablets, along with BP tablets (thanks to the humira) and an anti-depressant (required thanks to pain) and my liver is the only thing that appears to behave. The meds don't affect my OA but they do keep the PsA under reasonable control. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ColinJ
    Options
    My GP as got me on Mobic 75mg & Co-Codamol 100mg until I see the rhumy, I am stiff as a board in the mornings & my hands are swollen with a sensation like being stung with nettles in them,once I have taken the above needs I take my dog for about an hours walk,and at the moment I am decorating our bungalow,but when I sit down at night to watch TV I stiffen up again.
    My biggest fear is that I won't be able to walk my dog,also I have two outdoor hobbies,so I am (or was) very active outdoors man.

Colin
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I have RA and am on methotrexate. The consultant gave me a limit of 10 units alcohol/wk. Thereby the fun starts working the maths out.
    1 unit alcohol = 10ml of pure alcohol (25ml of spirits @ 40%).
    or half a standard 175ml wine glass of wine at 12%. For Beer the figure is 1/3 pint at ABV 5-6% or 1/2 pt at 3.5%.
    I now drink almost exclusively white wine and limit myself to a 125ml glass of a 12% wine to give me a unit and a half which gives me just 6 glasses/wk. Festival times are a bit of a curse.