Looking for some wheels.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 20. Mar 2016, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm going on a holiday of a lifetime in May. My best friend and I are going to Orlando which has been my dream for so many years. We shall be hitting the enormous shopping malls and of course, the theme parks. I managed Disneyland Paris a few years ago but my mobility and general health is much worse now. The only option is to get some wheels. A wheelchair is no good because I can't self propel and my friend has back issues, so can't push me. Fortunately, mobility scooters are available. However, we are renting a car and I can't rent one for the duration, only on a day by day basis. I'm also a little nervous of scooters, having tried them before. I'm seriously considering a rollator which means I can take it with me and use it everywhere, possibly with a seat. What do you think?

Comments

• Starburst
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I wish you could edit your own posts! I've been doing some more research. Renting a scooter is very costly; £35 a day at Disney alone which is impacting on my decision. It would be cheap and easy to hire a rollator and my local pharmacy has one which I can rent for a trial before I go. I feel very unable to accept a mobility scooter, partly because of my age and partly because I'm very stubborn. Typical Taurus!

I wanted to ask some Qs for those who've used rollators. Does it enable you to walk further and does it put pressure on other joints? I'm struggling with my crutches anyway because they are exacerbating my neck issues. I have a physio appt in 2 weeks, so will ask him when I go but in the mean time, just throwing some ideas around.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I've never used a rollator but I have been to Disney (Anaheim) and it involves a lot of walking and queuing. We got into the separate quick queue for all rides because of my wheelchair. Worth checking if rollators get to use those queues.

Also re the car. Some states allow the Blue Badge. I don't know about Florida. For California, I've downloaded a 'thing' that says basically, please allow it. I've never been challenged though once, when I was contemplating using my BB before I'd downloaded the 'please allow' thing, a traffic warden suggested it'd be safer not to.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    'Please allow' thing sounds great, Stickwicket and very useful for you Sophie.

I think the rollator is a good idea if it has a seat for queueing. I am sure it takes some of the pressure off some joints. It definitely should enable you to sit down and therefore with rest go further.

You'd need to take it with you, which might be a bit cumbersome....

Some do fold up a bit, but where do you put it when you're on rides? A scooter without a key sounds less likely to be half-inched???

Could you do a bit of both maybe?

In some situations use a scooter and some the rollator?

Love

Toni xx

Ps can I come too?
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I do find I can walk further and slighty quicker when using a rollator rather than my crutches but they can be quite bulky.
    I know there are places where you can hire scooters on a weekly basis including the small fold up ones, it might be worth checking if you are able to hire one to take abroad.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My rollator allows me to walk for around ten - fifteen minutes, depending upon the terrain, until I need a sit-down to ease things. Given where you're going, and what you are hoping to do, it may be wise to hire a chair at the theme park but use a rolly for the rest. If you do buy your own I strongly advise having one with the brake cables hidden in the frame (it's amazing what can catch you when you're out and about) and in an L shape so you walk between the handles: it's much better for your overall posture than the basic squares which you walk behind, thus having to lean forwards somewhat. I'm properly researching at the moment because I need a new one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    http://orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/other/international-parking-badges.htm

It seems Florida's not as easy going as California. Might you be ale to do this?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. We've already looked into the disabled badge and I can apply for a temporary one if I send a copy of my blue badge. This will certainly help matters as I imagine it could be a walk from the car park to the various theme parks.

My main reservations about the scooters are a bit silly but we're all friends here, yes? I'm worried that people will look at me aged 27 but constantly mistaken for a 19 year old, a bit overweight and think I'm lazy. :oops: I'm having a hard time accepting that I need to use it at all, to be honest. I've been unwell with some other health issues, so making those adjustments are hard enough but accepting that I can't walk around has just been the last straw. I don't want to sound ungrateful. I'm lucky to be going on this holiday at all but I can't do as much as I had hoped and it stings a bit.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I can only give you my opinions and how both the scooter and rollator affects me

I got the rollator originally when my scoliosis was really bad {I wasn't using crutches,} occasionally a folding stick for a long journey.

Now I've got a fracture after my 2nd THR I find the rollator makes me lean to one side to support the fracture.
    The scooter ....at least like a wheelchair I am sitting.

Someone mentioned rides. That's true...you cant leave it {or I wouldn't} whereas I would leave my scooter ...keeping the key in my pocket. If you are going on trips they will put the rollator in the boot of the coach for you.

I find most of the time that my crutches are faster than the rollator but use the scooter if I'm going long distances

DD is right about the cables.....we both have the same one {or did have} and the cables are such a pain. I've ended up using cable ties on them and around the body of it to keep them from catching on things.

Probably not a lot of help.......just what I feel about both of mine

Love
    Hileena