Hi

Options
Petlover
Petlover Member Posts: 3
edited 29. Mar 2016, 20:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I'm new and want to say hi. I was diagnosed with sero-negative inflammatory arthritis and fibromyalgia around nine years ago. It started with a very swollen knee and has gradually spread to my other joints. I'm on 90 mg of dihydracodeine twice a day, 200mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and 60mg arcoxia (NSAIDs) daily. Lately I've been having extreme pain in my lower back, and am woken nightly with severe hip pain. I had an X-ray on my knee initially, which showed OA, but since then have had no investigations, just been given more painkillers. My question is, do you think it's reasonable to ask my go for an X-ray/mri on my spine/hips to find out what is actually going on? Thanks.

Hi
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find support, advice and light relief here.

I'm one of the moderation team we all have one or more arthritis 'hangers on' or look after family with the same.

If you need help with the technicallities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

Mod ChrisK

Comments

• bitsinabag
    bitsinabag Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Petlover wrote:
    Hi, I'm new and want to say hi. I was diagnosed with sero-negative inflammatory arthritis and fibromyalgia around nine years ago. It started with a very swollen knee and has gradually spread to my other joints. I'm on 90 mg of dihydracodeine twice a day, 200mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and 60mg arcoxia (NSAIDs) daily. Lately I've been having extreme pain in my lower back, and am woken nightly with severe hip pain. I had an X-ray on my knee initially, which showed OA, but since then have had no investigations, just been given more painkillers. My question is, do you think it's reasonable to ask my go for an X-ray/mri on my spine/hips to find out what is actually going on? Thanks.

Hi
    Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find support, advice and light relief here.

I'm one of the moderation team we all have one or more arthritis 'hangers on' or look after family with the same.

If you need help with the technicallities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

Mod ChrisK
    Hi Petlover,
    the short answer is yes - press for a scan. I know `they` are overworked but knowing what the extent of your problem is, so far as possible, will save both `them` and you time and trouble in the long run.
    All the best
    bitsinabag
  • Dalriada94
    Dalriada94 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am new to this site, I am a mum of a 12 year old boy who has had jra for over 2 years now, we go to Aberdeen every couple of months for advice and treatment, it is hard dealing with a growing boy who doesnt understand what is happening to him as well as growing up, locally we dont have much support apart from his high school who are amazing, hopefully this site might give me some answers to the many questions I have, I feel for each and every one of you who have this horrible condition :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi there, Petlover, and welcome from me, too.

I'm a bit puzzled as you say you were diagnosed with a sero-neg, inflammatory arthritis yet you only seem to be taking pain relief and anti-imflammatories. Presumably, you were diagnosed by a rheumatologist. Were mo DMARSS suggested? Only they will help to hold back the progress of your disease. When do you next see the rheumatologist? Ask about x-rays etc by all means but I think your priority should be to get on some DMARDS. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Petlover
    Petlover Member Posts: 3
    Options

I'm a bit puzzled as you say you were diagnosed with a sero-neg, inflammatory arthritis yet you only seem to be taking pain relief and anti-imflammatories. Presumably, you were diagnosed by a rheumatologist. Were mo DMARSS suggested? Only they will help to hold back the progress of your disease. When do you next see the rheumatologist? Ask about x-rays etc by all means but I think your priority should be to get on some DMARDS. Good luck.

Hi Stickywicket. I was seen initially by a rheumatologist and prescribed sulphasalazine(?), but it didn't help. The second rheumatologist I saw (I wasn't happy with the first one, all he ever did was stroke my hands to look for nodules!), just diagnosed me and said the gp could care for me. I'm not sure if the gp thinks it's only fibromyalgia not arthritis, so just gives me painkillers. But I'm much worse now, and feel that the only way I'll get taken seriously, is by having X-rays to see what's going on with my joints.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Dalriada94 wrote:
    I am new to this site, I am a mum of a 12 year old boy who has had jra for over 2 years now, we go to Aberdeen every couple of months for advice and treatment, it is hard dealing with a growing boy who doesnt understand what is happening to him as well as growing up, locally we dont have much support apart from his high school who are amazing, hopefully this site might give me some answers to the many questions I have, I feel for each and every one of you who have this horrible condition :)

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Dalriada94, from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear that your 12 year old son has JRA. We have some great members here with a wide range of experiences of arthritis and of living with the condition. Some have had their arthritis since they, themselves were children, so might have some useful insights for you.

It is good to hear that your son’ school are being so good. If you follow this link you might find some arthritis care activities near you, which might also be useful.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/help-and-support/events

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.
    I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Moderator Ellen
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Petlover wrote:

Hi Stickywicket. I was seen initially by a rheumatologist and prescribed sulphasalazine(?), but it didn't help. The second rheumatologist I saw (I wasn't happy with the first one, all he ever did was stroke my hands to look for nodules!), just diagnosed me and said the gp could care for me. I'm not sure if the gp thinks it's only fibromyalgia not arthritis, so just gives me painkillers. But I'm much worse now, and feel that the only way I'll get taken seriously, is by having X-rays to see what's going on with my joints.

I think you do need to know what the problem is. In your shoes I'd first see the GP to see if he has any info from the rheimatology appointments that you don't ie can he clarify whether or not you have an autoimmune arthritis. Just because sulph didn't work is mo reason to give up on DMARDS if you do have one. The radiography stuff might help but, to me, the vital question is what type of arthritis you have.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Dalriada94 wrote:
    I am new to this site, I am a mum of a 12 year old boy who has had jra for over 2 years now,go to Aberdeen every couple of months for advice and treatment, it is hard dealing with a growing boy who doesnt understand what is happening to him as well as growing up, locally we dont have much support apart from his high school who are amazing, hopefully this site might give me some answers to the many questions I have, I feel for each and every one of you who have this horrible condition :)

Welcome from me too dalriada94. Having had two boys myself (both now with boys of their own) I do feel for you. Please let us help in any way we can. Unfortunately, the 'My child.....' forum is very quiet but join in anywhere on Living With Arthritis or Chit Chat or start your own thread if you have a question and we'll try to answer it. Good luck!
    Steven Wright