Tell us your story

petra
petra Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Mar 2016, 03:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have been diagnosed with oa in both hips. I am interested to know pain management information and when people have considered surgery thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Petra, from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with arthritis in both hips. Although the members can’t give medical advice as such I am sure they support you. Between them there is a wide range of experiences of arthritis and of living with the condition.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I don’t know whether you have had time to look at this:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/types-of-arthritis/62-o-osteoarthritis

If you read through it there is a link to self-management courses in your own area. I hope it helps you.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Moderator Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. Surgery will be offered once a certain level of damage to the joints has been reached and is usually dependant on age and weight. I have OA in both ankles, both knees (and my hips are joining in) but I was refused new knees four years ago, aged 53, due to being too young and too heavy despite the fact they were bone-on-bone throughout 3/4 of each knee. Now they and my ankles are considerably worse but I am used to it. I have another arthritis too and the damage from that caused my OA.

My pain management is quite straightforward: four 30/500 co-codamols per day and not overdoing activities. Whatever pain we have cannot and will not be eradicated, I prefer to have the feedback from my joints so I know when it's time to rest. Distraction is one of the best methods because the more you focus on the pain the worse it becomes so I read, do puzzles, watch telly, go out for lunch with friends and run the house as best I can. I worked for 17 years with my twin beasts keeping me company but I was fortunate to be self-employed so I could tailor things to suit me and how things were. I stopped after my double carpal tunnel operation, deciding enough was enough. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben