UPDATE ON THR RECOVERY

barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
edited 14. Apr 2016, 02:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thought I would start another thread then it doesn't get drawn out, thankyou Christine and bubba for you post on the other..
Got much more swelling this time , but I ran out of the arnica in hospital so it could be down to that..not sleeping good but that is due to this back, apart from that the hip is good and not taking anything for that till I go to bed,staples our tomorrow..I thought it was today, but have managed a shower,with OHs help. the dressing is waterproof so what a difference that has made.. :)
Thankyou again everyone you have been brilliant all the way through...xxxxxx
Love
Barbara

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ah yes, the first cup of tea in the morning and the first shower after an operation - both very high on DD's little list of Essential Luxuries :wink: - both are a tonic for the spirits.

it sounds to me as though you are doing well, Barbara, it's a shame about the bruising but more arnica can be supplied, yes? I'm pleased that you are coping with the new hip (despite the lack of comfortable rest) but that will end in due course when you will find another on DD's little list - the first sleep lying down!

Keep up your good work my lovely, and I wish you well with the staple removal. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    It sounds as though things have gone well, Barbara. So pleased to hear from you.

I hope that everything continues to improve. Take care.

Meg
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    So glad that you doing so well barbara.First shower,staples to come out.............more milestones passed................... :D
    Take care
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    It sounds that, on the whole, you are doing well. Hopefully once you are up and around properly, your back will settle a bit too. Hope you manage to get some more arnica to help the swelling. xx
    Christine
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    (((()))) Mig
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    So glad you smell nice from shower!! :lol: I bet getting those staples out is a relief. Have you managed to get anymore Arnica? How's your back doing? is the swelling sticking around? Hope things are slowly getting better, you keep soaking in the positive vibes and hugs we send you. Take care. (())
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Hi Barbara, glad to hear that things are progressing well. Keep up the good work, take things slow and steady, ((())) slomo
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Glad you are progressing steadily, Barbara - hope things continue to go well.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Glad to hear things are going well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    Thankyou so much everyone.
    Well she didn't mange to get all the staples out, the bottom one were weeping so she didn't want to touch them, I was so hoping it would be like the last time ..I had no trouble with them...she will come back tonight and try again think there are either 14 or another 16 left...so fingers crossed everyone..and I will be ready this time will take someone half an hour or so before she comes.. :shock:
    Love to everyone...xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    I'm sure it won't be too long before you get the rest of the staples out. Did you manage to get in the garden today or was it too cold? The sun was shining here but it was a bit chilly.
    Christine
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Barbara
    Hope that you managed to have the rest of the staples out. I have been thinking of you and hope that you are doing well.
    Take care xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    Thankyou Christine and NB
    The nurse came around 10.15 last night ..well after my bedtime..she was a new one and had a look and said there was a flap of skin with no staple in and if they take them out and I sit down it could open up.. :shock: so she will try tonight and put sterri strips on to hold it together..so getting a bit worried...I had no trouble with last lot 2 years ago..apart from that all is well...
    Thankyou again everyone for being there...xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    That seems very late for the nurse to come round. She must have been very busy. I can understand you being worried but I'm sure having the steristrips on will only help with the healing. Glad everything else is well though. xx
    Christine
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Barbara
    How are things today? Did the steri strips hold? I have been thinking of you and hope you are soon feeling stronger x
    NB
  • barbara12
    Thankyou Christine and NB
    Yes the strips did hold and come off tomorrow the 6th..then I can have my third showers :D ..had one in hospital and 2 here with water proof dressing on..but told not too till these strps come off..the back isnt good..buit to be expected sleeping on it..roll on the 3rd May my follow up...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Hi Barbara,
    I just wanted to jump in and wish you well in your recovery. It sounds as though you are coping brilliantly! I can relate to the shower though, it was 19 days post op before I could have my first!

I would have noticed your thread sooner but I had a nasty bout of Labrynthitis which is still lingering and has played havoc with my ability to look at a screen the last few days. I'm 4 weeks post TKR on Thursday and without you guys I would have really struggled the first couple of weeks.

So wishing you well, hope your back manages a little better soon. I have issues there too and can relate, but with a TKR I can lie on my side thankfully.

Sending healing thoughts.
    Wobbly xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    H barbara
    Glad the steri strips did their job and that they come off tomorrow.Fingers crossed your back doesn't give too much aggro and you get a good night's sleep.
    You have your shower to look forward to............. :splash:
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • applerose
    You are doing so well Barbara. Hopefully the next few weeks will pass quickly for you. xx
    Christine
  • barbara12
    Thankyou Wobbly, Christine and Ron
    Yes looking forward to the strips coming off, no pain in the hip..but then you dont, and have to be careful with the bending twisting and such, because you get get any warning....
    Must say it feels much stronger, especially in the groin..least said about this back...will see how it goes when I can sleep on my side..3 weeks tomorrow :D already...
    Wobbly we have a friend with Labrynthitis, so I feel for you, I hope it improves very soon..you keep us updated on that knee..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I apologise for not responding before now, I hope you will understand. I've never been good with staples (my inner toddler is unleashed in fine style when they have to be removed) but, for what it's worth, I reckon she made a good call. I hope all is calmer now and that you are feeling better within yourself. I've not forgotten your bravery with the first op: you are a star and always will be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • newhipandy
    newhipandy Member Posts: 60
    Good luck on your continued healing. Boy I was so lucky having dissolveable stitches, I would not have enjoyed the staples by the sound of it! I am sure others have recommended massaging the scar with Bio oil ... I used it for a while but found I preferred the feel of sweet almond oil with a couple of drops of lavender (which is also antiseptic and helps healing) so that may be worth a try when you are allowed. Best xx
  • barbara12
    Thankyou DD, newhipandy,
    Yes the strips are now out..and the wound is nice and clean, but looking in the mirror last night it is quite gruesome compared to my other..but it will fade..think I had better take all my itsy wincy bikinis to the charity shop... :lol::lol: xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Gruesome is OK as long as you're not planning on showing it off much :lol: I'm so glad things are going OK, Barbara.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Hey Barbara, wear that bikini with pride and flaunt your war wounds! It sounds as though you are doing really well. I'm so pleased for you.

Thank you for your good wishes too. I've never had Labrythinitis before so it was quite a shock. I'm often dizzy from my MS and I do have the Occasional seizure which is MS related too. But this was very different. Thankfully the acute phase was over quickly. Although the nausea and wobbly vision has lasted a little longer.

Today is my first good day since last Saturday and I'm celebrating as I managed to get to Physio today and my ROM was 97! So in spite of being ill my ROM has increased 12 degrees since last week. I'm thrilled with that.

I really feel for you with the sleeping on your back though, I couldn't do that either.

Keep healing.
    Wobbly xxx