New wheels/scooter

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 9. Apr 2016, 08:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been successful in my hunt for a mobility scooter that I can get in and out of my car single handed!

I posted about the possibility of this a while ago so thought I would just update on here.
I first tried the "minimo" but that was a failure as I couldn't lift it at all.

I hunted around a bit more on the net and found another one, the "supascoota". I arranged another trial and this time success. It is very simple/basic to look at, a bit like a meccano model, but looks betterin real life than on the net and is quite quirky. Seat off, battery off, fold remainder and lift. I wouldn't be able to carry it any distance but in and out of the car no problem and I have found that to reduce bending I can put the handlebars up and down once it is in the car. The battery is quite heavy but later on I will invest in a lithium one which is lighter so I have a spare. It was also just over 1K cheaper.

Had a lovely time today visiting a local park, didn't have to worry that I couldn't get in the car park, and then just wandering around. I must have looked rather strange as I had a huge smile on my face!

I have named it "Freda" as it has given me back the freedom to get out and about more easily and without having to plan in advance. I will get a follow up call from the salesman in about 8 weeks and then a visit about 4 weeks after that just to check all is well.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's very good news, I am so pleased that you have been successful in your search. I like the name too! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks DD, the name is doubly appropriate as I used some of the money I inherited from my late Uncle and Aunt to pay for it. Their first dog was a great dane, kennel name, Ophelia of Emsworth, but known as Freda, I was quite young when they got her and my uncle used to joke that she was big enough for me to ride on!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oooh that looks interesting, particularly as my right knee won't bend far enough for most traditional scooters. May we have updates, Slosh, as to how you're getting on with it? How stable is it? Can you do non-dropped kerbs?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Sticky, there is not a huge amount of leg room so it may not suit you as I need to bend my knees quite a bit. As for stability it feels very stable and this was one of the things I asked about. It has two mini wheels between the main back wheels "anti tip" wheels to add stability when turning, and it also automatically slows down when turning a sharp corner.
    I don't know about kerbs as where I live there are dropped kerbs at most road junctions and crossing points.

It's not been such good weather this week, and I've been busy tidying, seeing friends and getting ready for a craft fair at the weekend but I'm sure as the weather improves I'll start to use it more and more.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I found that with the scooters I tried, I couldn't contort myself as required to fit them which was irksome.

It's odd, isn't it? We're all different yet all facing similar troubles. I too have dropped kerbs around the town but they are difficult to negotiate thanks to the inverted egg-box-shaped paving slabs which are there on the approach and the leaving of the crossings; I understand they are there to reduce the risk of slipping for the majority but ye gods, they don't easily accommodate crutches or a rollator.

Anyway, the most important thing is that Freda is helping you to do more and that is what counts, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    "We're all different but all facing similar troubles"

So true, and that's where this forum is so useful.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the info, Slosh. I have been know, where possible, to just 'let it all hang out' - my leg, that is :wink: In other words, if it won't bend in, sometimes it will hang over a low mudguard which is just as effective though probably not for the Health and Safety conscious. I shall still bear it in mind when we get to Scotland where I intend to buy myself some wheels of some sort.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    There are a lot of companies who will come to you so you can try ones out.
    Good luck
    Julian of Norwich
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Hi Slosh,

We haven't met before and I only joined a few weeks ago after my RTKR op. But it's been amazing help on here.

I was drawn to your topic as we've been trying to find something similar for me. I can't lift much at all due to MS as well as arthritis and so my husband lifts mine for me. But that then restricts me to only going out with him and as he gets older it's getting increasingly difficult for him to do so.

So we are really interested in how your getting on with your lightweight scooter and also - I know this is a rude question so please tell me to go away if you wish! Companies that don't display their prices concern me! Any chance you could hint at an approximate price as I'm sure it would help enormously to know and stop many of us wasting our time :)

As I said tell me to go away if this is just too private.
    Wobbly xx
  • Slosh
    This is a great site, I was hesitant about joining it about 2 years ago as I wasn't too bad then but I'm so glad I did as things moved along/down pretty quickly and the advice, help and support on here has been invaluable.

What I found was that several companies were willing to come out and offer free no commitment demonstrations which were great and some also offer scooters on rental.
    The first I tried, the mini... cost about £2500 but was too heavy. The one I have was about half the price. I'm off to visit my daughter /grandchildren now but will pm you later with more details.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Thank you Slosh really appreciate :D