Newly diagnosed

Millie222
Millie222 Member Posts: 7
edited 11. Apr 2016, 05:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Found out yesterday that I've got osteoarthritis when I ended up in A&E with my extremely painful knee. Feel devastated that this is something that won't get better as I'd struggled on since Christmas thinking that keeping active would bring some improvement. Was told by the doctor that I've had a flare up (but not sure what this means or why it's happened). At the moment searching for answers on how to manage things.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of helpful advice and understanding here, your GP will probably manage your condition.

Dip into a few of the threads - living with arthritis is the forum dealing with all things arthritis related, have a peep at the chit chat forum too, you might find a few threads there that tempt you to join in. You will be made very welcome!

Take care
    Mod Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there and welcome from me too.

It's true that it's unlikely to get better but you have been doing the right thing in keeping active as that does keep muscles strong and supporting which keeps the joint more stable. However, we do have to find a balance between exercising and resting. There's good exercise, such as swimming and cycling, and bad exercise which is basically anything that stresses the joint such as running or maybe even hiking depending on how bad it is.

You will find lots of useful tips on all sorts of things by clicking on the 'Managing Arthritis' tab above. Obviously it's rough for you right now but you'll learn to deal with it., Distraction is a good method. The more we concentrate on pain the more we feel it. Thinking about it doesn't help.

Just ask away if you have questions and we'll try to answer them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Welcome to the creaky gang! It's not fun, is it? :roll: I have two kinds of arthritis, the joint damage from the first (an auto-immune one) led to OA in my knees (diagnosed in 2011). I was naïve enough to think that when the first one was finally diagnosed that would be it on the arthritis front so I can empathise with your feelings because I clearly recall the shock I felt on being told I also had OA.

Any form of arthritis is degenerative and progressive but the rate of those processes varies from person to person. Exercise is important but it must be of the right kind, i.e. nothing that involves too much hard impact on the affected joint. You have been doing the right thing in staying active but ensure you rest your knee (preferably raised) whenever possible. Your GP will offer pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication and / or a referral to physiotherapy but that's all he can do. I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day and use distraction as my main method of pain 'relief'.

This month represents my starting the twentieth year of this nonsense, I began aged 37 and now I'm 57. I cannot believe it's been that long and how much my life has changed but it is and it has. I've adapted and adjusted along the way and, generally, cope pretty well. You will develop your coping strategies as you learn more about living with arthritis, I'm sure of that. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Millie222
    Thank you for your positive replies. I'm finding it hard to look forward to the future as I loved walking and dancing and lots of other active things. I'm resting as much as possible at the moment as my knee is very painful. I've made an appointment to see my GP later this week when I hope to get more information on what I should do. I've always tended to push myself to do more, but I'm feeling rather delicate and tearful at the moment x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Millie welcome to the Arthritis family, we all support each other on here in the good times and the bad. I'm sure you will find previous topics on here that will give you some answers for questions you may have. If your a book reader I run a book club on here that may interest you just click on over to chit chat and you will find us there.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, me again. I reread your post and spotted the 'f' word. :wink: I find my OA worsens if I overdo things i.e. pain levels increase and I need to rest my painful joints more and after a day or two they ease. I don't view it as a flare because it is very different in feeling to my PsA going into overdrive: when that flares I am rendered useless, sleeping for England (but never feeling any benefit from it) unable to manage basic household tasks, completely lacking in concentration and nauseous with the tiredness. This can last for weeks and months. My OA doesn't do that. DD
  • Millie222
    Hi DD, what is a flare up then? I just know on Saturday it hurt to move/walk or anything and that's why I ended up in A&E. I thought my knee was broken or something, and that it could be fixed. Today it's not so bad and I can walk again but not sure how much I should do without it getting bad again.
  • dreamdaisy
    For me it's something that happens with my auto-immune arthritis and has a solid, long-lasting impact on my usual activities. I cannot control it (it's due to a faulty immune system) and it still happens despite my meds. It doesn't happen in the same way with the OA, that 'flares' because I've overdone things, that's it and so within my control. More and more people are using the word 'flare' for OA but I don't think it's an accurate description.

What had you been doing before things worsened? Was it pain locally in the knee or more widespread? (Mind you, when we have an affected joint we naturally alter the ways we move, sit, stand and lie in an effort to reduce the pain. Knees can lock or give way (both are equally alarming but the latter possibly more painful as it tends to lead to a fall). It's good that things are easing now, with OA they usually do within a couple of days. If you are a side-sleeper try sleeping with a pillow placed lengthways between your ankles and groin, this cushions the lower joint from the upper and keeps your hips nicely spaced.

Start resuming your normal activities but, at the first twinge, stop and take a breather. DD
  • Millie222
    Hi DD, thank you so much for the explanation. I injured my knee over Christmas, and although it started to get better with exercise it wasn't right. A couple of weeks ago, after a City break away where I did a lot of walking, things got worse. I've struggled for a couple of weeks - and then Saturday happened. I've obviously got a lot to learn so thanks for the helpful advice x
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your message, I am not doing too well but hope to be better tomorrow when I will properly reply. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things going? I hope things have improved after resting your knee. You mentioned you injured it over Christmas, OA often sets in after some kind of joint trauma: I broke my upper left humerus in January 2014 (I tripped over my rollator and went down like a skittle) and now that aches and is painful.

Have you seen your GP yet? DD
  • Millie222
    Hi DD, yes I'm feeling better thanks and I hope your week has improved too. I saw the GP yesterday and got more information on how to manage things. I'm due to see physio tomorrow, so I hope to be able to exercise then and get myself mobile again. Thanks again for the support this week, it's been tough trying to get my head around this. M x
  • dreamdaisy
    It is a great deal to comprehend; your body, which has always worked for you, is now rebelling and bringing discomfort and pain. Has the GP given you any kind of pain relief? I hope the physio is an informative session, the right kind of exercises are important for our muscles. Please let us know how you get on. DD
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Hi Millie and a belated welcome to the forum from me!

I too have OA of the knee and (diagnosed 10 years ago), while it is different to the autoimmune type I do find that I get periods of intense pain and instability which the GP calls a flare up. It can be related to overdoing it, but not always. I suspect stress is a factor and probably weather too. Oddly enough, it always leaves me exhausted to (but it's difficult to pick apart which symptom leads to the next).

Best of luck with this creaky journey you've joined us on - I have personally found this forum so helpful with my ability to cope with the situation, the pain and general questions

x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The standard medical view is that OA pain is mechanical - trauma, damaged joint, 'wear and tear' etc but increasingly there is a view that inflammation can play a part, either of itself or by exacerbating existing pain. It's not the same as an RA flare, and the causes aren't the same I don't think, but can still make you feel pretty bad.
    The other difficulty is that muscle problems can sometimes be the problem rather than the joint itself initially, but that can cause joint problems further down the line, by altering how the body is used and so putting strain on a joint beyond the 'norm' - something that tends to happen after a fall or hard knock.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Millie222 and welcome to the forum
    They do or did say you cant get flare up with OA, but I always have..I have it in multiple joints and they dont always all join in thanks goodness, I think it must be when the OA is sort of on the move..
    Have you been referred to a physio, they can be a big help with knees by helping you build up the quad muscles..and there are steroid injection you can have...hopefully it will ease up for a bit..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Millie222
    Thanks all for the helpful information and advice. I've had some physio now which has helped, and I've been given exercises to strengthen the muscles (which I'm trying to do twice a day). I'm keeping up the pain relief and I'm feeling more positive this week. I'm going to keep active and hope things continue to improve. M