scared

Options
alfiesmum
alfiesmum Member Posts: 3
edited 16. Apr 2016, 08:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
For 4 years I suffered from RA with extreme pain in any or all joints accompanied by swelling and massive fatigue, this was before I was prescribed the correct chemicals to control the condition. I am so scared that I could end up back at this stage.

I have now been on Methotrexate injections for 7 years now, giving me a good quality of life free of pain.

My consultant has cut me down to 20mg/week and is now cutting me down to 15mg, then 7.5 and then off altogether, because she said that the RA is 'in remission'.

Have I any recourse, can I refuse these cuts and demand that I stay on these injections.

My blood tests for liver damage are ok.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can understand your concern as you are one of the fortunate ones for whom meth has worked (you're in the minority on here!) I wonder if your rheumatologist is thinking that you do not need that high a dose to control matters; I have no doubt that should it flare on the lower doses you will be bumped straight back up.

I have heard that RA can go into remission and, if this is the case with you, then that can be only a good thing. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I do understand your worry. Many, many years ago I took tamoxifen for 2 years after having a mastectomy for breast cancer. When they told me I need no longer take it Ì begged for more time. I gave it another year but then realised it was silly and counterproductive to take unncessary, powerful meds. That was over 20 years ago.

I have reduced my meth on several occasions. I was on 22.5mgs for years. I''ve now got it down to 15. I tried to lower it again a couple of years ago but thay didn't work out. My advice would be to suck it and see. You'll never know until you try and, if it doesn't work out, just go back to where you were. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    The first time the consultant offered to reduce my methotrexate down from 15mgs to 10mgs I said that my feeling was that if it was working well why change it ? I did not wish to go back to how I felt initially. So I carried on until the GP picked up a slight anomaly in a blood test with my kidney function, but one that was not significant. However the consultant felt that now was a good time to reduce my methotrexate since my RA was very well controlled. I am now on 10 mgs and very happy with the way things have settled. It is not a nice medicine to take and I felt initially it was too soon to reduce the dose but now I am happier to be taking less.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello alfiesmum
    Sorry I cany offer any advice , but just so you know we are here for you..I do hope you get the treatment you deserve..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I can understand your anxiety about reducing the MTX. Have you asked what will happen if the reduction doesn't work out? It may be that a lower dose may keep things ticking over nicely, but I would hope your rheumy would increase the dosage if you start to flare.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Alfies mum ,I can't offer any helpful advise but I'm thinking of you and wishing you well. Mig
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It is all about finding a balance. If you start to get the previous symptoms then let her know and she should increase it again. Just make sure you let her know if pain starts getting worse and have the regular blood tests.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein