Six months after THR

newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 14. Apr 2016, 13:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All

I am now six months post THR and thought an update may be helpful. I am pleased to report steady progress over the past couple of months. Reflecting back, it is interesting that
when you are discharged from the Consultant after a couple of months he/she will say to you, “You are fine, go off and get a bit more physio and then you can do whatever you did before …” Although the superficial healing process may have taken place by that time, and you are reasonably mobile, it is not true to say you are ‘back to normal’. It is only now, at six months, that I feel close to having full mobility. I believe that full and complete healing can take up to a year.
It is muscle strength and confidence in having the new joint that takes time to develop.
I was delighted to realise just a couple of weeks ago that I can now walk upstairs carrying two mugs of tea, one in each hand and I don’t need to hold onto the banister, but that has been a while coming.
I started going to the gym and was very lucky to have the supervision of a trainer who has excellent knowledge about joint replacement. He has helped me with my sense of balance, which was affected. It is difficult to explain but somehow you lose the sense of when you are standing level and also, when you have habitually been limping, it is hard to know when you are walking normally, or not. I still tend to kick out my foot on the operated side if I over think it. I am also knock-kneed, which is due to muscle wastage, but this is slowly improving. I think I will always have a bit of a hollow on the scar where the muscles were cut, but this is not noticeable through my clothes. Certain exercises, particularly focusing on lateral moves, have been quite difficult to master. Balancing on one leg, then the other, is getting easier.

Before I had my hip replacement, I could not get onto my bicycle, however much I angled it over. I tried this the other day and although I can now (pardon the expression) get my leg over, I still don’t feel confident enough to take to the road in case I overbalance and can’t correct the bike. I am fine on exercise bikes in the gym, but it obvious there is a way to go yet to transfer this to a real bike.

Walking is great! I don’t have any problem with stamina, speed or distance, and am very pleased with not having to worry about hills or uneven ground, which were always a problem before. Sitting, lying, stretching, turning, driving are all fine. Sitting down and getting up again is smooth, and I can get in and out of a car normally without having to hold on to the doorframe to swing in and out. Kneeling is still a bit of a mission (but my knees aren’t great anyway) and I don’t anticipate being able to do a full crouch any time soon … but overall movement is vastly improved with the new hip.

Hope there is some useful info in this essay :lol: . Best regards to all

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Andrea
    It's great to have you posting again,have wondered how you were getting on with your new hip.............. :!:
    Followed your regular updates closely and now have re-read them with now even more interest they have given an insight in principle of what to expect.
    Am now facing having a THR myself,in fact only 'phoned the hospital yesterday to find where I am on the waiting list.It appears that still have at least several weeks to wait.................. :x
    Pain and mobility have become such an issue that despite apprehension of having surgery just can't wait to have it done.
    I did notice,with some amusement,that you had lost the sense of when you're standing level.This is something I will bear in mind.since if I want to stand level have to stand on tip toe on my 'bad side' :!: and carrying a mug of of tea in each hand going upstairs ..........just a distant memory.Walking normally without a limp will also be great.
    Many thanks again for your post and hope that you meet all your targets.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I too am pleased to hear again from you and with such good news. It does take a fair time to adjust to being fitted with a new part, we're not like cars who just zoom off after they've been tinkered and fettled. Healing is a long process but, by doing it 'properly' you won't be placing any undue strain on your new joint. I rather envy the thought of being able to ride a bike again plus the improved mobility! Many congratulations, and please look in again with an update.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Its so kind of you to go to the trouble of posting all this, and I am sure it will be a big help to quite a few on here, its good to hear how well you are doing..and I am sure the cycling wont be far away...there's no rush...
    Love
    Barbara
  • newhipandy
    Thank you all for your kind comments. Its a pleasure to do the updates. When my other hip gives out ... hopefully not too soon! ... I will be back :bouncing-ball:
  • newhipandy
    Just another little (good) thing I noticed this morning ... I can get in and out of the car normally without having to poke my btm in first. I think I excluded that from the list before. Strength is slowly but surely returning and the muscles are waking up. Hooray! :cheers:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm so glad it's all going well and I'm sure your threads will be useful to others. I've recently referred one new 'prospective hippy' to them. Keep going. You seem to have got this nailed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    your posts are very inspiring indeed thank you for the updates, as others have said it is so useful to have positive stories to be able to share
    Best Wishes
    Moderator Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am very pleased that it's all worked out well for you but hope you will keep an eye on the forum for new 'hippies' who are, understandably, apprehensive about what they may have to face; your recent experience of this procedure will be most welcome, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben