Hi from Staffordshire

Joob
Joob Member Posts: 6
edited 11. Apr 2016, 16:27 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I was diagnosed with oesteoarthritis just over a year ago (the GP was very matter of fact about it) I was put on Naproxen, which didn't really help. When I was back to Dr's he said to take ibuprofen. I have also been suffering a lot with acid reflux for which I am currently taking Omeprazole and have been told not to take ibuprofen but paracetamol as ibuprofen can make my stomach worse.

At no time have I had any tests for my condition, (the GP was very matter of fact about it) which is now a lot worse. I try to get regular exercise, which I usually enjoy, but it becoming such an effort as I just feel totally exhausted all the time. I don't sleep well. (I usually go out like a light, but then wake in pain quite a lot during the night).

I feel really quite lazy as I just can't keep going at things like I used to and I am becoming a bit down. I have also put on quite a bit of weight which I know doesn't help matters.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendships here. There are lots of others with OA and I'm sure they will be able to help you.
    I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis "hangers on" or look after family members with the same.
    If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK Moderator
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. OA is very common, there are around ten million arthritics in the UK and the majority have OA (including me and I also have another form, one of the auto-immune varieties). OA is dealt with by GPs (hence yours being very matter-of-fact about it) and there are no tests for it apart from checking the range of movement and maybe having an Xray. It's good you are taking omep already because NSAIDs (non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drugs such as naproxen)) can harm the stomach; I was on nap for a while but it did nothing to help me whereas diclofenac does. I don't need that very often however thanks to the medication I take for my other arthritis.

I have OA in both ankles, both knees and my hips are joining in. I broke my left upper humerus in January 2014 and now OA has moved in to that joint too. :roll: When we are in pain it alters the way we move etc. and that can affect other joints too. We also have to physically 'work' harder to get things done because of the pain, because of reduced sleep (I wake every 90 minutes or so with pain-breakthrough despite my pain relief) and there is little we can do apart from doing a little then resting a little.

I recall the shock I felt when I was diagnosed with OA, in my innocence I thought having psoriatic arthritis was it! I began with that aged 37, now I'm 57 (I was 52 when the OA was diagnosed) and have had to change much in my life to enable me to carry on doing what I can do. For pain relief I take 30/500 cocodamol, just four a day: pain is a fact of life with our conditions and, no matter what we do or take, it never entirely disappears. I can no longer remember being pain-free and that has made things a deal easier to manage.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest: you are talking to the initiated on here! Have a look around the other boards so you get a 'feel' for us and please join in on any thread that sparks your interest. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Joob
    Thank you both for your support and advice, it's good to know I'm not alone and there are people out there who understand :-D
  • Joob
    Thanks Sharon, I will have a look at those links :-D

Sent from my HP Slate 7 HD using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I was the only one in my peer group affected by these troubles for years and years so I can empathise with how you feel about finding us: it changed my life for the better when I found the forum and discovered that I wasn't alone. One of my friends has now 'tentatively' joined in with a dodgy knee but she is still able to walk without aids (for miles) play badminton and tennis so I've told her to really make an effort. :wink:

Stick with us, we know our stuff and are here to encourage and support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Sorry to hear you're finding things difficult at present. In your place I would be inclined to go back to your GP and try and sort out some more effective pain relief, and discuss your low mood and fatigue. Poor sleep will make you tired and less able to cope with pain, and pain itself is tiring, but that might not be the only cause.
    You don't say which joints are affected but it may be worth considering how you sleep - whether supporting a limb with a pillow to ease pressure on the joint would be helpful for instance.
    If you can get to one of the groups in your area you may well find that helpful in breaking the downward spiral of pain, fatigue, low mood, by having the chance to share how you're feeling and get suggestions from those who've been there, done that, got the T-shirt, as to how to deal with the problems that arise.
    Arthritis of whatever kind isn't fun, but if you look at the Living with arthritis, and Chit-Chat boards you'll see there are laughs to be had and that there is quite often a way to make things slightly less horrid. The Helpline folk( number at the top of the page) are also very good at listening and supporting when you don't know what to do.