Another decision made

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 22. Apr 2016, 04:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
While on my Easter holiday from school I got the spring cleaning and tidying bug. It took me a couple of days to realise the fact my amount of pain had suddenly escalated was due to this, I hadn't started the cleaning but had filled two wheelie bins, one general waste and the other with recycling, got rid of two bags of unwanted cds and two bin bags of clothes to the charity shop, plus given away other items on a community website. I took a break but then attacked my kitchen and went back to square one re pain.
I listened to my daughter, remembered that I still work three days a week, and try to pack a lot into those days, so this morning I finally took the plunge and booked a fortnightly cleaner.

My daughter was very pleased, and I now just have to stock up on cleaning materials.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like impressive spring cleaning.....no wonder you ache now :oops: .

The cleaner sounds like a good idea, I had a weekly cleaner when our twins were tiny and I was teaching ....I wanted to spend the free time I had enjoying their company so we cut out some non-essentials and found the money for a cleaner and it was a great help. Sometimes admitting we're not wonder women is hard, but the benefits of redirecting chores will be a fresher you with time left over to have fun or simply chill out.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Thanks, I'd rather use the time more flexibly, to visit my daughter and grandchildren and do things I enjoy, as well as being able to pace myself.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you slosh, and why not..like you say you work hard and you dont need more pain...hope it works out..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good for you, Slosh, I think that is an excellent plan. I have a cleaner (my DLA covers her cost) and she is a godsend. She was unable to come last Friday due to wanting to spend time with her children at the end of the Easter holidays (completely understandable) so I had to clean in addition to cooking the main course for guests on Saturday (who stayed overnight). I'm still 'recovering' from the physical onslaught, I am good at keeping things ticking over but it took me around five hours to do half of what she does in two!

We need our time to be as useful and valuable as possible: why 'waste' it with cleaning? I hope she works out well for you, I buy what my cleaner prefers to use as she's doing the work so it may be worth asking yours for any preferences re. materials. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    That's a good point about cleaning materials. I will start off with what I already have and then ask for preferences once they get used up.

It's one less thing to have to struggle with, and I know that it's more important psychologically to focus on things I can do and which I enjoy.

She will also do ironing which is great.
    Julian of Norwich
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    My OH and I have a system,she cleans upstairs and I do downstairs!

Unfortunately I find my part is taking longer and longer as my hip pain increases.............. :!: :(

By splitting jobs we find we have more time to enjoy the more important things in life eg eating out............ :D

Will have to have a rethink for a while when I get a new hip!!

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I know that it's more important psychologically to focus on things I can do and which I enjoy.
    Absolutely! I think there's a tendency to feel guilty about offloading things we find hard/tiring/painful in favour of doing things which are more positive in their effects, but in the grand scheme of things(and assuming it's an option) it's more important to maintain a good state of mind to cope with the challenges of life with arthritis( and the rest) than to knock ourselves out trying to keep the toilet clean.
    I'm at the point of trying to get over that guilt hurdle at the moment - cleaning floors and sanitary ware hurts my hands and back as much as weeding my flower border, but the cleaning doesn't put a smile on my face and make the pain bearable! I also have to factor in that there isn't anyone to step in if I overdo things, so if I can't do both it would be better to go for what offers added benefits - that's what my rational mind tells me, but putting it into practice is proving harder....
  • Slosh
    Got it in one, I remember when all this first started and I was pushing myself to keep going at work, all be it on reduced hours my Head said I had a very strong protestant work ethic, and when I moved to part time his comment was that I'd be hard to manage as I would try to fit 5 days work into 3!

There is a guilt element, I find myself feeling guilty/a bit rubbish for getting so tired by the end of my 3 day week, as part of me feels I should be full of energy, and I stupidly hate going back to work after the holidays as part of me feels that I should be better/recovered after a break.

I am now having to stop myself from cleaning ahead of the cleaners visit!

Somebody slap me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah yes, I know that feeling very well! There's a wonderful little book (actually three books) called the Meaning of Liff. It gives definitions for human experiences which lack names, based on place names. 'Spofforth' (which I think is in Lincolnshire) is precisely that: to clean and tidy before the cleaner arrives. 'Kettering' are the marks left on your thighs after sitting in a wickerwork chair whilst wearing only your underpants and a 'Gweek' is a coathanger recycled as a car aerial. I often suffer from a Lusby or two. :oops: DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are definitely doing the right thing, Slosh, by getting a cleaner. I had one until Mr SW retired. (The cleaner was better :lol: )

As for cleaning before she arrives - no, I didn't, but I did used to tidy up so that she could find the surfaces to be cleaned :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I'm sticking with the tidying for the reason you said, I'm really looking forward to having a tidy AND clean house. Until he let me my ex did most of the cleaning, although I did draw the line when he produced a tin of Vim to do the bath with, I didn't know they still made it.

My Mum gave up trying to train my Dad to do housework after he retired but he did take over the cooking.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I find sorting through clothes and toys destroys me. I can only do a little at a time. I start with good intentions then my back goes and I can't stand any longer.

It is nice to get it over and done with-until the next time.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Feels lovely to not have to worry about doing any cleaning this weekend, or feel gulity for not feeling up to doing it. I've also added in for her to do some ironing as I want to get my spring/summer (not quite sure why) clothes out which means linen trousers and cotton blouses to iron.
    What it does mean is I can rest guilt free and focus on my getting ready for a big craft event I'll be selling at next month.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    We have had a cleaner now for 2/3yrs, she is a godsend and she also does ironing if we need it doing. We got her because my OH was becoming tired and having no time for us. He was working 5 days a week coming home cooking our food, having to wash up, do cleaning and washing our clothes. We literally had no time to sit down and talk to each other. So I made the decision before my OH collapsed in a heap to find a cleaner. We found her on the internet and she came over, we interviewed her and where impressed. So now she comes over once a week and cleans our house.
  • Slosh
    Mine was lovely and did a great job. Things look so different, it says it all that while I used to hoover up and down all in one go with my cordless hoover and it's 15 minute charge she only managed the down stairs hall and part of the front room!
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I am so pleased that it's gone well for you, it is unusual at first having a 'stranger' doing things that you used to manage with ease but, believe you me, the energy it frees up for the more 'fun' things in life is fantastic.

I know what you mean about the cordless vacuum thing, I found that mine would last a fair bit because I rarely used it on its strongest setting, K however does all the time: I bought another as a back-up. DD
  • Slosh
    You are so right. Mine is going to bring her own hoover next time. Sounds silly but having the place looking cleaner has been a real boost and it's great not havimg to rely on a friend to change my bed.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Silly? Oh no, far from it, it's important for morale to have our surroundings feeling brighter and cleaner but learning to allow someone else to do it on our behalf, well, that isn't easy. You have done the hardest bit in finding someone, I hope that you and she will soon settle well together. DD
  • Slosh
    Thank you DD.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    You're more than welcome, Slosh. The plans for my Friday have changed, my cleaner has a poorly daughter so isn't coming. It won't do me any harm will it? I'd rather that than catch some germs! DD