Another sleepless night (& Vat exemption)

Toomanychoices
Toomanychoices Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Apr 2016, 12:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Greetings all! Sorry, that was probably a bit bright and breezy for 2am.

Once again the osteoarthritis in my knees and the arthritis is my back has forced me out of bed so as not to disturb my Hubby with my tossing & turning trying desperately to find an even remotely comfortable position.

I miss sleeping like 'normal' people, don't you?

Anyway, after a somewhat bad tempered exchange in the chemist today (them, not me) I thought I'd see if anyone here had any thoughts or helpful suggestions.

Potted medical history, I've had polyarthritis for 25 years (not juvenile), arthritis in my spine where I had a compression fracture of the spine falling in an exercise class (see, I said it was bad for you) and severe osteoarthritis in both knees. They tell me that my knees are 'finished' but that I'm 10 years off their operating age, goodbye.

So, because I fall over, a lot, I now use a stick. I saw a nice new one in Lloyds today & decided to treat myself. I have bought other sticks online ticking the box for VAT exemption with no trouble but in the chemist, they insisted that I wasn't covered and that I needed proof.

I don't have a shiny badge that says 'worn out knees' and wondered how other people manage.

Apologies for the length of this post, over tiredness can cause me to ramble somewhat, lol.

Any comments gratefully received. Thanks x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums toomanychoices from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes Mod Christine R
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me, too. Not 2a.m., more like 2p.m. as first posts are always held back a bit now in a very successful war against spammers. The good news is you are not a spammer. (The bad news is that means you do have arthritis :wink: As you are all too well aware :roll: )

My OA came about as a BOGOFF – get RA, acquire OA as an added extra but my back's relatively good. I've had both knees and hips replaced. One knee twice, the other, and one hip, probably due to be re-replaced.

I'm not sure what proof is needed. Did you ask? My local disability shop has always taken my word for it that I am disabled (though I have to write RA down as cause) but then my body is living proof. No arguing with that :lol:

In any case, buying sticks from a pharmacy or online isn't the best way unless there is someone who knows how to advise. I don't. I can't use them but I'm sure someone here will be along soon to help. Or you could ask for an Occupational Therapist to visit (Just self-refer from your local government website). They're very good and may be able to help with other stuff too. Good luck.

P.S. Re the sleepless nights - you do take pain relief going to bed? It helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and welcome from me
    I usually buy online and have never been asked for proof, I would ask them to ring your GP for the proof ..and hopefully that will be that. dont they make life hard work...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Umm, what is normal sleep because I can't remember such a thing! I guess it's what my Spouse manages to do, the whole turning-over-and-nicking-the-duvet-thing-without-being-awake- happens because he can do it. How lovely for one of us. :wink: I am a side sleeper and need a fat pillow placed lengthwise between my ankles and hips, it helps. Mind you, I still have to wake up to turn over and sort the pillow.

I was refused new knees aged 53 and am now 57. I've had to use walking aids plus since 2002 but don't resent them because I can do more with than without. I've never bought online and never will; I prefer to buy locally so I know what I'm getting and complete the form with my rheumatology consultant's and GPs contact details. So far so good. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben