Hello. Newbie

dialysis
dialysis Member Posts: 3
edited 22. Apr 2016, 07:15 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, I am suffering with facet joint arthritis, and at the end of my tether, as my gp doesn't seem too take me serious, my medications are lamictal for epilepsy, sertraline antidepressant, propronolol for blood pressure, stations for cholesterol, diazepam for anxiety panic attacks, gp is now told me I cannot have any more medications as I am on enough, so I saw nurse practitioner and she has given me codeine phosphate, but it says short term use only,any advice on facet meds I would be very grateful x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums dialysis from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes,

Mod ChrisR
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    Hi there and a warm welcome from me too. I don't have much back pain but arthritis is a nasty business wherever it surfaces. Unfortunately, GPs can't do too much other than pain relief and physio. Have you tried doing exercises for it? They do help as they keep muscles strong and supportive. I have to do mine every day in an effort to stop things getting worse.

There is a good section called 'Managing Arthritis' above. Just click on it and it gives lots of useful tips.

Perhaps your GP is reluctant to prescribe pain relief because you are already on a lot of medication and interactions can happen, especially as you have epilepsy. Is your username a clue? Are you also on dialysis?

I wonder if you could have a word with your doc about maybe trying to lower your BP and cholesterol by lifestyle choices ie diet and exercise? If so, perhaps pain relief wouldn't be so much of a problem.

You might also like to give our lovely Helpline people a ring to have a chat with them?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am so sorry that you have had to find us but I hope we can help with insight, knowledge and support. I have PsA (an auto immune kind of arthritis) plus OA: the meds for the former don't help the latter. I take a low-level daily dose of Citalopram to help me cope better with my pain, in addition to Ramipril and Bendro something-or-other to manage my raised BP (a side effect of a med I take for my auto-immune arthritis) but have not had to take statins. Neither do I have epilepsy. One would think that one condition to manage was enough but no, sometimes we have to cope with two or more. So not fair, yes?

GPs deal with OA (which is the most common form of arthritis) wherever it occurs and there is not a great deal they can offer in terms of help which, for us as patients, is very disappointing. They also deal with everything else which is going on with you and yes, I suspect you have reached the point where more meds won't help. For pain relief I take four 30/500 cocodamol per day, they dull things sufficiently so I can get on with household nonsense so that has to be enough: pain is part-and-parcel of our conditions but learning to live with it is challenging. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • yiayia3
    yiayia3 Member Posts: 19
    Hi I also have facet joint arthritis I found the only thing that helped for a while was spinal injections maybe worth asking,I take codrydomol when I need it does take the edge off a bit,it is horrible,and I know how you feel,take care YiaYia
  • dialysis
    dialysis Member Posts: 3
    Hi there and a warm welcome from me too. I don't have much back pain but arthritis is a nasty business wherever it surfaces. Unfortunately, GPs can't do too much other than pain relief and physio. Have you tried doing exercises for it? They do help as they keep muscles strong and supportive. I have to do mine every day in an effort to stop things getting worse.

There is a good section called 'Managing Arthritis' above. Just click on it and it gives lots of useful tips.

Perhaps your GP is reluctant to prescribe pain relief because you are already on a lot of medication and interactions can happen, especially as you have epilepsy. Is your username a clue? Are you also on dialysis?

I wonder if you could have a word with your doc about maybe trying to lower your BP and cholesterol by lifestyle choices ie diet and exercise? If so, perhaps pain relief wouldn't be so much of a problem.

You might also like to give our lovely Helpline people a ring to have a chat with them?
    no I am not on dialysis it was a predicted text, should of been dizzy:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi dialysis,

Welcome to the forum from me too. The joys of automation :P are amazing. If you want to change your username we can do that, just send a pm to moderators, there will be a link at the end of this message for you to click, and let us know

Take care
    Mod Yvonne x
  • StephenGeo
    StephenGeo Member Posts: 4
    I have lower back arthritis with very bad pain especially in mornings and night times when I'm trying to relax are my worst times of the day, i I'm on dihydrocodeine 30mg tablets, I take 2 four times a day on bad days or 1 four time a day when pain isn't as bad, I know these are really strong tablets, I also have arthritis in both knees which affects me walking at anytime especially going upstairs or downhill.
  • StephenGeo
    StephenGeo Member Posts: 4
    I have lower back arthritis with very bad pain especially in mornings and night times when I'm trying to relax are my worst times of the day, i I'm on dihydrocodeine 30mg tablets, I take 2 four times a day on bad days or 1 four time a day when pain isn't as bad, I know these are really strong tablets, I also have arthritis in both knees which affects me walking at anytime especially going upstairs or downhill.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi stephengeo
    Welcome to the forum, there are lots of lovely people here to help you and chat to, choose a forum you like and have fun.
    All the best mod Christine :bouncing-ball: