Neck degeneration

knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 2. May 2016, 11:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello Everyone

Twentyseven years ago I was diagnosed with early degenerative changes in my neck. With care and help from my osteopath things have been kept to a reasonable level of pain in my head. However, over the last couple of months things have changed and I am now getting continual pain across the tops of both ears. Has anybody else experienced this type of pain and, if so, did you manage to alleviate it? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Janet

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, Janet. Can't help but I hope others will be able to. My neck barely moves now but pain is minimal as long as I stick with my memory foam pillow. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    Thank you stickywicket for your speedy reply. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow and shall ask to be referred. I am used to bad head pains, but this pain across my ears is driving me round the bend.
    Janet
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Janet, sorry to hear about your neck troubles. My neck has been quietly crumbling away for a few years now.

The pains and symptoms seem quite wide ranging, depending on the level of the degeneration, bone spurs or osteophytes. They all cause pain and can often cause loss of feeling in arms, hands. Tingling or pins and needles, shoulder pain, headaches...........

Treatment for the pain is again, varied. Some use heat and cold, pain killers, well, pain dulling, arnica gel, others suggest gentle excercise, although that is not for everyone, the Physio tried it with me and I about fell over every time, they said, "ok, we won't do that again". Too right you won't. But, it helps for a lot of people.

Pain dulling ranges from simple paracetamol, up to things like Tramadol, Pregabalin, Codiene, Gabapentin, Diazepam as well, to help relax tense muscles. Have a good chat with your GP, they might suggest physio. Pain is very wearing indeed, we can certainly sympathise.

Good pillows, memory foam or something that offers good support without bending your neck at odd angles.

Take care and let us know how you get on XXXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Janet
    I dont get pain in my ears but do get awful headaches now and then, I do my neck exercises every day after I have used my heated wheat bag..the heat really does help ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Thank you Bubbles and Barbara for your replies. Over the years I have tried many brands of painkillers, pillows, physio, exercises and now I visit my osteopath each week for help. Two years ago my brother had to have neck surgery because he was losing the use of his hands and was told "we may not be able to improve things, but hopefully you won't get worse." That prediction was certainly correct and he is not the person he was. But the pain in the ears is something new I am experiencing. My osteopath has told me that neck surgery is tricky and only done as a last resort and not for pain.
    I will just have to see how I go.

Have a good day.

Janet
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Are you sure the ear pain is coming from your neck, Janet? Might it be worth asking your GP to check it out?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Are you sure the ear pain is coming from your neck, Janet? Might it be worth asking your GP to check it out?

I would agree Janet, get the GP to check things out.

I did ask about neck surgery when I saw a Consultant Ortho Surgeon and he said, not a chance, not with your heart condition. Plus, it is not guaranteed. He did offer to release both carpel tunnels, again, that would not help with peripheral neuropathy, from damage to the bone / nerves in my neck - it's all a pain :roll: X Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sorry for not replying earlier but I've bedn struggling a bit recently. I have Cervical Spondylosis and problems with prolapsed discs. I can't add much to the advice you have been given, but do strongly recommend a suitably shaped pillow and if you already have one consider if it needs replacing. I had to have neck surgery two years ago but unfortunately with limited benefits so although I am back at the threshold for this again and also have another disc that has prolapsed at present they do not want to operate again as it is complex and I didn't benefit that much before :( I have neuropathic pain and some muscle weakness.

I do get headaches but not really ones that are like you describe.
    I still have to do my neck exercises daily and quickly notice if I'm careless about things.
    Good luck
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    My neck is a mess and it gives me problems from numb arms and hands to headaches.

I am on a cocktail of drugs and every 3 months I have cortisone injections
    It does help but towards the end of the three months not a lot helps to be honest

I have just bought some dude shoes they are cushioned and really help my neck so may be worth having a look, good prices and have a look on eBay as they sell them for as little as £19.99

James