Ankle (Talonavicular) arthritis in both feet

Aix
Aix Member Posts: 7
edited 21. Apr 2016, 12:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hello,

I'm 60 yrs old and I've recently been diagnosed after years of pain (but no x rays until 3 months' ago) - with severe ankle arthritis. Two surgeons have said the only answer to the pain are ankle fusions, which I'm very nervous about having, as i have a dog and live alone etc.

I'd like to hear it's not such a big deal to have the fusions, or that someone has found some pain relief..the surgeons both say that it's unusual to have identical OA in both feet, and no-one seems to know why I have it. Maybe it's RA? But if it is, it still doesn't make a difference to the need for the ops. I'm beginning to get pain in hands and elbows, and twinges in knees.

How far can you walk after having the ankle fusions?

Thank you,
Debbie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Debbie
    I have done a bit of research for you and found this interesting personal experience from the Arthritis research UK website
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... usion.aspx
    There is also a good technical book on the process by the Royal national orthopaedic hospital
    https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/f ... elease.pdf

These might be useful and you can always phone our helpline on 0808 800 4050 if you have more questions you want to ask.
    I am sure you will also get responses from our forum members as I know some of them have had ankle fusions
    Best Wishes
    Moderator Sharon
  • Aix
    Thank you, Sharon. I will look at the info. I'm feeling very resistant to the ops and have been looking at alternatives, like full body cryotherapy, RPR injections and wonder if anyone has tried these?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    Hi there, Debbie. Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry you had to join us. I'm afraid I can't be much help other than to suggest you re-post on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look on there. I know we have people who have had fusions but I'm not one of them. My own ankles did a DIY job of it – very successfully but it was a long painful process and I guess I just got lucky that they fused in a good position.

I would love to tell you that it's no big deal; and / or there is a wonderfully effective painkiller but.... this is real life. If you put 'ankle fusion' into the search engine above (Tiny, grey tab) lots of former threads come up. I think, on the whole, people seem happy with their fusions but there is a non-weight-bearing period of several weeks after the op so it's not just the dogs but yourself you will need to think about.

Have you ever seen a rheumatologist? Or has a doc ever suggested you might have an autoimmune type of arthritis? Do any family members have an autoimmune disease? As you say, it won't alter the state of the ankles but, if you did have an autoimmune form of arthritis, being on the right meds would help other bits of you to stay better for longer. Unfortunately, even OA spreads though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Aix
    Thank you for your reply. I'm finding these forums a bit confusing, but think I've posted on the other one, now! I don't see a small grey tab..

My mother had MS but I don't see that as an autoimmune disease? I'm seeing the GP next week and will ask for more info..Thank you again. D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    MS is usually considered to be autoimmune though currently there is research going on in other areas. Have you ever seen a rheumatologist, or even had a blood test for RA? The latter isn't conclusive as some autoimmune forms of arthritis give a negative result but it would be a start.

Right, the search button. Go straight up, not to the grey line but the pale blue one underneath it. the 2nd tab from the right is the 'search' engine. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright