Political interference from across the water

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 25. Apr 2016, 06:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
So what is Obama trying to say, he only wants to know Great Britain if it serves his political agenda and he has a 'way in' to put put pressure on the EU through us?

Some friends you can do without.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Totally agree, we keep being drawn into the wars they create..they were saying this morning that the speech was drafted by number ten..I am sure it was..and he needs to concentrate on sorting out his own country.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Whoever drafted his speech, surely the argument is worthy of consideration?

It's naive to think that the most powerful country in the world would be concerned more with trade agreements with Britain, which is smaller than California and doesn't even have a decent manufacturing base these days, than with the entire EU?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Maybe SW... but I always have the feeling we are there puppets..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I was talking to a friend who was over on a trip from the USA earlier this week. She said there are a lot of big American companies who will rush to invest and open up if we leave the EU. A good thing? Maybe but the reason is these are companies who will only do this if we leave the EU as then they won't have to comply with EU employment and discrimination legislation which is stricter than in the USA.

A good reason to stay in as far as I'm concerned.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Its not about the size of the country its about how much influence you can bring to bear. The usa despite its size and wealth relies on us, UK, to do its political will for it in places it cannot be, in doing so we reafirm its importance and standing. The USA will never be at the height of the UK in its diplomatic powers, it aproaches everything with power and strength in mind not subtleness and reason.

To be honest the faltering speech of Obama did not impress.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I take your point about the USA finding UK's presence in the EU useful. I'm not sure about the rest though.

I didn't find Obama's speech 'faltering'. I think he delivers speeches really well with no fear of pauses. I loved what he said to young people, urging them to "reject pessimism and cynicism" and "know that progress is possible and problems can be solved". Could have been written for us arthritics :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Would the USA countenance any 'advice' or interference in their politics? Would they have sacrificed sovereignty to a federated, non-democratic system?

Despite the EU we have still had the annexation of the Crimea, Balken wars, terrorists and gun frenzies happening on the EU's doorstep, so the peace argument doesn't wash either.

As for for the politics of countries that are soon to join the EU...........