Feeling rubbish

yiayia3
yiayia3 Member Posts: 19
edited 26. Apr 2016, 15:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry but need to write it all down I know you can all relate a little.I just fell absolute rubbish today back pain,hip and knee pain and oh joy the I.B.S kicked in!I wonder if it's all connected sometimes,taking the painkillers like sweets and hoping for a better tomorrow.I can usually get on with it,but today no.May have overdone it with my youngest grandson the other day who knows?
Thanks for reading YiaYia

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ooh YiaYia of course you can talk to us, it does help to get things out in the open...my eldest son suffer from ibs..so I know some of what you must be suffering and on top of your joints..we are all guilty of over doing things..I call it not giving in..I do hope tomorrow is much better for you , if not you know were we are..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • yiayia3
    Thanks Barbara,Tomorrow's another day x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It's hard to sort out cause and effect sometimes isn't it? I too have IBS and am never certain whether it comes as a result of arthritis problems or whether it kicks them off if they are thinking of playing up - or even if it does both at different times! The painkillers don't always help the gut but have to be weighed up against making OA pain a bit easier to bear.I do know that if the 2 are playing together I need to be careful about what I do - distraction is good but overdoing it just makes things take longer to settle, so maybe your time with your grandson was a bit too much - but if it gave you pleasure then that makes it easier to cope with the current grot.
    I've had a bad few days but was determined not to miss a big concert event with the choir on Saturday so knew that Sunday and possibly Monday would not be good - but missing the concert would have been worse, so it's a case of grit the teeth and 'this will pass'
    I hope things soon settle for you.
    BTW have you ever kept a food diary to see if there are any foods which trigger or make the IBS worse? I have identified some things which are not good at all and some others which are usually OK in moderation but are best avoided when I'm having problems with OA or fibro.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It might well be that one thing has set off another. Who knows? But overdoing things will almost always bring on more pain. We all know it but we all still get carried away with the moment.

I'm sure you'll already be aware of it but, just in case, here's what the NHS recommends as a good diet for IBS. http://tinyurl.com/yljuf65 Maybe if that can be made a bit easier the arthritis won't feel quite so bad.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • yiayia3
    Thanks everyone it's so nice to have a rant sometimes,I do think overdoing things sets it all off who knows,but yes watching what I eat and taking it easy for a few days,I do wonder if I have fibro as well,I know it goes with Ibs.I've just ordered a tens machine has anyone used them? Thanks again hope you all have a pain free day. YiaYia
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It is so easy to become 'carried away in the moment' yes? We've all done it and no doubt will do it again because we feel more like our old selves by joining in with things and having a giggle. Then we are reminded that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea after all. :roll:

We're each walking our individual activity tightropes with varying degrees of success. Learning to recognise our individual triggers for trouble takes time and for you the IBS is a further complication. With the OA I find it easy to control but my PsA has a mind of its own about what it might or might not do, and when it might or might not do it. Most exasperating! I hope you are feeling a little better in yourself today and good luck with the TENS machine, I used one many moons ago and found it useless, sometimes it was more uncomfortable than the pain it was supposedly relieving but others swear by theirs so I hope you will be in their gang. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • yiayia3
    Thanks DD very wise words thank you,will let you know about the tens machine YiaYi
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you for your kindness but I'm not sure about being wise (my late Ma would be hooting with laughter at that thought!) I do know that I've been there and done that so experience informs, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben