Apremilast or Otezla

stripeysocks
stripeysocks Member Posts: 2
edited 14. May 2016, 04:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I've got Psoriatic Arthritis, I've tried sulfa and methotrexate a couple of times (however my WBC kept dropping too low after about a month, as it sits fairly low to begin with) and don't qualify for biologics.

My rheumy wants to try me on Apremilast (Otezla) but I've read on the NICE website that it shouldn't be prescribed to people who couldn't tolerate DMARDs.

Does anyone have any experience of using Apremilast? I found a couple of threads from last summer on here, but nothing more recent. Particularly anyone who has a history of low WBC! Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Stripey Socks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Stripeysocks from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    From Mod Christine R :bouncing-ball:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's the first time I've heard this med mentioned, I think. Certainly not many on here take it. This is what ARUK says about it. It sounds OK. http://tinyurl.com/he4u9wj
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have PsA and have tried all kinds of things but these names don't ring any bell at all. I would trust your rheumatologist and give it a whirl, I am sure you will be well-monitored in case of any troubles. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ernesthemingway
    ernesthemingway Member Posts: 1
    Hiya, I have Psoriatic arthritis ( no skin problems ) and have had TNR on both knees and a THR My rheumalogist applied for permission to go on this drug and was successful ( I think it's because it is so expensive) I have been on Apremilast for 3 weeks now. I had the side effects of a banging headache and diarrhoea for the first week but that all seems to have settled Although my belief is that it can take a couple of months before you start seeing improvement I am already feeling less fatigue and less morning stiffness I have been on a great many medications in the past 10 years none of which have really helped so I am hoping for success with this and so far the signs are positive ......watch this space!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to the forum ernesthemingway :) , I am sure you will find support, advice and light relief.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis conditions or look after family with the same. If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

Best wishes
    Mod Bryn
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello ernesthemingway and welcome from me, too. That was a very kind, supportive first post. I hope both you and stripeysocks continue to benefit from this med. Well done on persevering past the headache and diarrhoea stage. I think most of our meds can take up to 12 weeks to work fully. Keep plugging away with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright