Cervical Disc Replacement Monday Week!

Options
rayray
rayray Member Posts: 115
edited 7. Jun 2016, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am booked in for surgery on Monday week. I have to be at the hospital at 7am and so I am hoping I am on the morning list. I then have a one or two night stay in hospital.

I haven't had any more information about recovery so I shall have to wait and see. I have taken Slosh's advice on button up blouses and made a few so that I can dress relatively easily. Apart from that I'm not too sure what to expect. I will be in a collar for at least two weeks, six weeks if I end up with a fusion.

Just wondering if I will be able to use a tablet or pc after surgery or be able to read? I struggle with these things a lot of the time now but I have no idea what the collar will be like.

Any more tips gratefully received.

As an aside I went to the USA on holiday and had a ball. My Husband and friends were very patient with my limitations and we also upgraded our car so that I could lie almost flat and still see out of the window which was wonderful. My GP was also fab - he gave me muscle relaxants for the flight and for the long stretches of car journeys (we did nearly 2000 miles) and they worked like a dream. I really felt like everyone was supporting me to enjoy the holiday.

On our last day I climbed a small mountain! I can't believe I did it. The terrain was really difficult and I was worried constantly I was going to slip. My Husband was even more worried but he helped me constantly and made sure I didn't fall. The American's we met couldn't have been nicer and were so patient and also helped me.

All in all I am so glad that we went - we were so close to cancelling. :cheers:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm pleased you made it and enjoyed it so much. I know nothing about your surgery or its aftermath, I think those best placed to advise you will be the staff in hospital because each situation is unique. Good luck and I hope it helps matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Can't help at all, rayray, but good luck, I hope it all goes well and so pleased you had a good holiday. It must have been daunting but now you know you can do it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope all goes well and that you don't need a fusion. Stock up on things like soups and yogurts as your throat may be sore after and it can be hard to swallow for a while. Baby wipes for keeping clean if you have a shower ban for a while, I did.
    If you end up with a fusion get a spare collar (easy to get online ) so you can change over every so often and wash it!
    Reading etc, not easy but I managed in short sessions but did end up watching a lot of TV!. Eating, difficult as the collar limits how far you can open your mouth.
    If you do end up with a collar for 6 weeks your neck will stiffen up even more so follow the physio exercise, and even after you don't have to wear it all the time you may need to slip it on from time to time while the muscles strengthen.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rayray
    Options
    Thanks for your replies especially Slosh. That is really useful advice about the spare collar. Have thought about the foods and have a few soft things in but will get more (or Hubbie will) if my throat is sore. I am a bit concerned as I am a singer and hoping that the voice returns completely to normal.

Not looking forward to the recovery period although I am looking forward to feeling better. Quite nervous about the whole thing - op seven in just a few years and I remember the initial few weeks after each one. Let's hope that there won't be an op eight!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello rayray what a brilliant holiday you had..Im so glad you enjoyed it..and good luck next Monday hope it all goes to plan and you have a good recovery..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I hope that I have this right: your surgery is due this coming Monday, yes? I hope it all goes well and make the difference you desire. DD
  • rayray
    Options
    Thanks DD :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Best of luck rayray :)

We'll all be thinking of you

Love

Toni xxx
  • rayray
    Options
    Thanks Toni,

:sunny:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thinking of you, rayray. I hope all goes really well.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    We haven't 'met' Rayray but hope it all goes well tomorrow and you have a speedy recovery.
    Christine
  • rayray
    Options
    Thanks for all your good wishes. I had the surgery on Monday as planned as was home yesterday evening. All went well and my pain feel better already. Likely to have some residual nerve pain for a while but all in all things are very positive.

No real post op pain just a few difficulties eating. Throat a bit sore but the main issue that food in getting stuck in my food pipe which is due to bruising my consultant has told me. I am on a soft diet and managing okay. Have been for a short walk today and although tired I feel a million times better than I did after hip and shoulder surgery. I think the extra restrictions from those surgeries sap your energy so there is even more to recover from.

Mixing little walks, a bit of housework and rest and feeling pretty good. I have to say that the care I received at Musgrove Park Hospital (am I allowed to say where?) in Taunton was exemplary. I was in the new all ensuite ward and the facilities were incredible - how lucky was I? The staff went above and beyond, they were outstanding.

Onward and upward... :hammock:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh Well-DONE Rayray :)

I am so pleased to hear all has gone so well for you. I can't believe it walks and housework already?!!

I'm not 100% sure whether we can mention hospitals, but would have thought you can as you are complimenting them not saying anything negative at all.

I hope your recovery continues as well as it has started

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That all sounds very positive, rayray. Keep up the good work!
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Pleased to hear all went well for you. Which procedure did you have in the end?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rayray
    Options
    I had the disc replacement. The surgery was quite long but my lovely surgeon managed to get the replacement disc in and walked into the recovery room with thumbs up so that was good news.

Not such a good day today as totally shattered. Have avoided the pc until now. Went for a little walk but had to come back and the nerve pain has crept back in. They did warn me this would happen and I know it is a waiting game to see if it is permanent or not.

Hopefully a better day tomorrow although in the scheme of things it hasn't been so bad just three days out of surgery.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Don't overdo things. You have had major surgery remember
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I think you have been amazing!

A gentler weekend might be in order though maybe?

Take care

Toni xxx
  • rayray
    Options
    Yep I am going for a gentler weekend. I decided to dust our blinds yesterday morning and this was plain stupid. I ended up in real bother and I am still absolutely exhausted. The nerve pain has been quite unpleasant. The trouble is I was given no restrictions and told I could do anything but bungee jump! The sister did advise me to listen to my body and remember that I have had major surgery - wise words which I am now paying attention to.

As an aside my painful wrists were checked and I was told that they are unrelated to my neck so I will have to get my GP to take this issue a bit more seriously when I see them in a few weeks time. Have had awful SIJ pain as well to the point I was using a crutch to walk last weekend. Oh dear, what am I like!

Becoming more accepting that I am never going to have the perfect pain free body but it has taken a long time to get here.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's not just the op. It's also the anaesthetic which takes some time to get out of the system. You might have been told you could 'do anything but bungee jump' but, presumably, not all at once :wink: Your muscles alone will need time to re-gather strength. Build up slowly and keep your current limited reserves for things more exciting than cleaning blinds. (I find most things fall into this category :lol: )

As for 'pain-free'? It's vastly over-rated. The search for it has probably caused far more pain to a lot of people. Acceptable levels are a much more realistic goal in my book.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've re-read your posts and remain amazed by what you did. I remember (from some years ago) another forum member who had neck surgery the week before Christmas and, having had the family around on Boxing Day, was most disgruntled that things hurt.

Quite why anyone has to remind you that you have undergone major surgery is beyond me. Please take better care of yourself for at least the next couple of weeks. It takes much time for our bodies to reach the point where surgery is needed and it also takes time for it to recover. Surgery can be miraculous but only if it's given the time to work. Sometimes the recovery is harder work than the descent into misery. DD
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I will keep an eye on your thread now with interest, and to help me to make an informed choice for my possible disc replacement.
    It sounds like you are doing great, but I agree with you and others that you need to listen to your body and pace yourself.
    The disc replacement option does seem like the preferable one over the fusion to me .
    I hope you continue to progress well, and the nerve pain settles soon.
    NB
  • rayray
    Options
    Thank you again for your lovely posts.

I have had a brilliant day today and feel like the old me is reappearing. I have had lots of energy and have done quite a bit. I know that the real test will be next week when the collar is off. I can feel from the few minutes it has been off each day the neck needs to strengthen up a lot and I need to get my arm muscles working again.

The nerve pain has really subsided today and I really have felt amazing.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Excellent news, rayray. It sounds as if you are mentally prepared for a necessary bit of back-tracking once the collar is removed but you'll soon build up strength again. Just keep away from those blinds, though :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So pleased you are doing so well,take care and don't over do things. Mig