Am off on my travels!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 9. May 2016, 04:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, I've got everything sorted out. My neighbour (bless her) has a key so she can come and feed my cat Tara. My friend is on stand-by just in case there's a vet-related issue with Tara so she'll deal with that.

My bag is packed, I have bottles of spare water in the car and the Satnav is ready. (I also have an old-fashioned paper map and a print out of a route even though I know where I'm going).

I'm leaving at about 10.30am tomorrow as I don't fancy tackling Dartford Tunnel in the rush hour. I'll be returning home Sunday afternoon and again my journey will be timed so I avoid rush hour at Dartford. I'm looking forward to getting a mini break but dreading coming home to an empty home - apart from the cat. However, I'll deal with that when I get to it.

I'll let you know Sunday evening how it all went.

Hope you all have as good a weekend as you can and that your pain is as under control as possible.

Take care,
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck, you are well-prepared and don't forget to take a break (or more) just to relax a little. I hope you have an enjoyable and pleasant time. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Best of luck Grace with the journey.

You sound to be totally prepared so I think it will be fine :)

It will do you so much good to get away.

When you get home your, (probably very cross), cat will be waiting for you....and tuna!!

Safe journey!

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Grace I am sorry I'm late wishing you a fond farewell..you have a lovely relaxing break..I know things wont be far from your mind, but good company away from home is just what you need xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely messages.

Weekend went as well as it could. We were all conscious that John was missing as we'd always gone out and about before as a foursome.

Journeys there and back were smooth and I didn't get stuck at Dartford Tunnel on either trip which was a bonus. I had a break from driving going up, but coming home I pushed on and did the trip in two and a half hours. Mind you, by the time I got out of the car I was extremely stiff so with hindsight, I probably should have had a quick stop but I don't like Thurrock Services as I get lost coming out of them every time.

I was dreading getting back to the bungalow as I knew it would be empty - apart from my cat. The reality of coming back into an empty bungalow was as horrible as I thought it was going to be.

Tara my cat was very quickly bribed with half a tin of tuna!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    sorry did not reply in time for off didn't see it until after you had gone but glad the weekend went well its always hard the first time you do something that you have always done before with a loved one that you have recently lost.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    The first time you do something like that is always going to be hard and that includes the return to an empty home. But, you've done it now so give yourself a pat on the back, a treat, and remember you've done it once so the next time will be that little bit easier.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Many congratulations on doing such a long drive - and I know what you mean about the Dartford Tunnel, it can be a nightmare. It was always going to be a little strange but you have come through with flying colours - John would be proud of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben