UPDATE ON KNEE INJECTION

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 15. May 2016, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone
I know its the weekend and there are few people about but thought I would post this anyway.
I went for my knee injection.....according to GP L one has arthritis and is where the injection is going and R one is non specific.....not much wrong......but that is the sorest one.
Anyway my appointment was this morning
Consultant said ....Injection in Left knee?.....I said its up to you
I explained things......he said I'll look at both of them.
Ultra sound on both......the Right one he did first...the sorest but no arthritis.
He was shocked......he drained it and said when I drain a knee I don't usually drain as much as this???? No wonder it is sore.
I'll do both of them......so drained both but the L there was very little to drain, then anaesthetic then steroid injection so hopefully that will be a big help. Its hard to tell yet.....the anaesthetic has worn off and it is sore but not nearly as sore as it has been the past few days
That's it!!
Love
Hileena

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hileena
    There are a few of us about................ :o
    Glad you got your appointment out of the way
    Rest and hope the soreness soon goes.................. :!:
    Take it easy
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you Hileena getting both done..now Like Ron says rest and fingers crossed..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Jane1234
    Jane1234 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi hileena. Hope it helps you with pain...Iv had them in my elbows and found them a great help ....rest and let it do its job.

Jane
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Thanks for the replies. Well a full day over now and it feels fine. A little bit of a twinge in the one without arthritis but nothing like what it was. You {or I} don't expect these injections or meds to take away the pain completely
    Got into bed last night and lay on the sore side......NOT SORE!!! that was 11pm and the injection and anaesthetic ....I got them at 11am....so don't think it was just the anaesthetic.
    Woke up this morning and got out of bed with a slight twinge and that's all.....Have to see how it goes and hope it keeps going like this.
    I did ask the consultant about resting. I wanted to know what was meant by resting because most of you know the more you sit or rest the stiffer you get.
    As soon as I said rest....he said NO.....just go on as normal....I want the injection to get around your knee so I don't want you sitting.....just do your normal things
    Love
    Eileen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    So they were drained as well? Were they swollen? I remember my knees reducing in size quite dramatically once they were drained - and then gradually refilling over the next few weeks despite the meds. Hey-ho.

As always we are on the receiving end of the docs' opinions, mine have always said rest so it sinks in and doesn't get wasted and yours says the opposite: I wonder though how many injections into their knees they have had; it must be lovely to live with the theory of such matters. :wink: Anyhoo, I hope yours are feeling better and that lasts for a goodly length of time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    It's hard to know who to listen to isn't it but I suppose the one that does your injection is the one to listen to if you have no experience of it.
    One {the one that was OK according to the GP} reduced dramatically. I don't doubt they will fill up again....have to see.
    The other one with arthritis they didn't drain....or tried to but nothing much there.
    You are right....I wonder how many have had these problems....not many I'm sure
    I can only hope....I've had injections before in various places and the back ones didn't work at all the steroid ones in the place where I have the fracture {greater trochanter bone} first one worked 2nd one didn't and 3rd one worked a bit??? So who knows
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    My guess is that, over the years, steroid injections have been improved (maybe somehow thickened?) so that they stay where they're put for longer.

As for the injector never having been injected – I don't think I'd fancy a doc who looked like me :lol:

How's it going now, Hileena?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Its not too bad now.....not as good as it was the first day but certainly a lot better than it was.
    I was told it would take about one to two weeks before I saw a real difference ??

I've stopped driving for the minute. Its only 2 weeks until we go to Venice then there is no driving at all so hopefully by the time I get back things will have settled a bit more
    Its my right leg/knee/foot LOL and that's the one that has to move from accelerator to brake and back and stay on the accelerator so that's the one thing that aggravates it.
    So I'll try to cadge a few lifts for the next few weeks or not go places I need to drive to LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    My guess is that, over the years, steroid injections have been improved (maybe somehow thickened?) so that they stay where they're put for longer.

They certainly feel thicker when they go in your B*m :oops: :lol:

Hileena

I am glad to hear you have seen some improvement - it sounds as though the non-arthritic knee was very swollen indeed :( I hope you get some relief long-ish term :)

Starting to sound like your next car would be good if it was automatic???

Love

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toni
    I went to the GP yesterday and she upped my tablets so we'll see how that does.
    It is very sore at the moment and I've stopped driving until I come back from Venice and we'll see then what its like.

New Car ....what new car :lol:
    Actually an automatic wouldn't be much good. My left leg/knee isn't bad {the one with arthritis} The one that's really giving me the trouble is the non arthritic....Right one and its moving that one from accelerator to brake and back again and keeping it on the accelerator all the time. I don't know about adaptions for that side of the car......I'm not on benefits so if it could be done it would be very expensive
    How are you ? and the rest o the family

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Actually an automatic wouldn't be much good. My left leg/knee isn't bad {the one with arthritis} The one that's really giving me the trouble is the non arthritic....Right one and its moving that one from accelerator to brake and back again and keeping it on the accelerator all the time. I don't know about adaptions for that side of the car......I'm not on benefits so if it could be done it would be very expensive

My cars were all Motability and adapted and I paid for the adaptions myself. They weren't expensive. I drove an automatic mini with the accelerator and brake swapped over as my left foot was the one that had more movement. I also had a pull on / push off hand brake. Whenever I changed cars – it was a compulsory every three years for a Motability mini – the old appliances came off the old car and onto the new. Quick, easy and cheap. Maybe worth a thought?
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    It might be worth a thought....yes. Except I have to buy my cars {not motability} as well as doing the adaptions......if the leg doesn't ease off I'll make enquiries
    Thanks
    Hileena
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Glad to hear you got some relief Hileena, maybe that's what I need.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Mmmm...I get your point Hileena.

I used to have a friend who had had a spinal injury and he had hand controls for everything.

Probably motability though...I take it you missed the age for being eligible (by a matter of weeks of course :wink: )? You almost certainly would have been eligible now though. :roll:

Resting up until after Venice is wise and you can see after that can't you?

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Probably motability though...I take it you missed the age for being eligible (by a matter of weeks of course :wink: )? You almost certainly would have been eligible now though. :roll:

Is there an age limit for Motability? I was considering going back to them if I decide on a scooter and I know I'm a bit older than Hileena.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toni
    I must make more enquiries about adaptions......at the moment just busy getting things ready for Venice
    Of course I just missed it my a few week :lol:
    I hit the big 70 on Thursday!!!

Sticky ...I think after 65? you cant apply for DLA {I know that's not what it is now} you have to apply for Attendance allowance which is slightly less and to my knowledge doesn't do motability
    You would need to check it out {so will I }
    Love
    Hileena