Hydroxychloroquine

Options
annic
annic Member Posts: 2
edited 16. May 2016, 13:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All.

Long time no speak!

I was hoping to pick your brains! I have been taking Hydroxychloroquine since 24th April 2016. Over the weekend, I came out in the most horrific rash from my forehead to my knees front and back. It isn't itchy just hot and uncomfortable. I ended up in A&E on Monday and have been given additional steroid to cope with it.

I wondered if anyone else had had a problem like this and how it affected you?

Many thanks in advance

Annie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've not taken this med but I know it is at the milder end of the DMARD spectrum: many DMARDs make us more photo-sensitive so I suspect you have had a reaction to the sun. Sunscreen is essential, I learned this the itchy way. :wink: No matter how 'weak' we think the strength of the sun we need to wear sunscreen or cover up.

Did it affect me? Well no, not really, it made my uncomfy life a little more so but it was easily sorted thanks to calamine lotion. Now I stay in the shade or, if in full-sun I cover up and swelter or stay indoors with an electric fan to cool matters.

I hope you are feeling better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Annie
    Hives, itching and changes in skin colouration are certainly quite high on the side effect from Hydroxychloroquine. The hot weather and sun will not help and DD is right, so many drugs make us sensitive to sunlight and it is a case of covering up and using lots of high factor protection. That goes for all of us really, we don't realise how much the UVB rays can cause damage, even if we are in semi shade. I know we shouldn't advertise brands, but Ultra - :sunny: is a very good one, free from a lot of chemicals that go into a lot of sun lotions. Hope things settle down very soon XX aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm with the others. DMARDS and sunshine are not congenial bedfellows. If you've been out in the sun for more than 10-15 minutes I'd look no further for the culprit but, if not, ring your rheumatology helpline for advice.

I try to get a brief fix of sunshine before smothering up with Factor 5820( :wink: ) and / or ensuring I'm covered with thin cotton sleeves etc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I do get hot itchy legs but not to the extent that I need to see someone about it. I just put cold compresses on my legs. Yours must be an extreme side effect, which must be awful!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's been a few days now so how are things? I hope the rash has cleared. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben