Piriton.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 16. May 2016, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I haven't needed to resort to this for some years now but today I have thanks to the unfeasible amount of oil seed rape growing in the area: it's upsetting many more people than usual and my eyes are sore and itchy. I won't put my psoriasis cream on them (and the usual emollients are not helping) so I bought some Piriton and that is helping.

Is anyone else being similarly affected by either this or other crops / plants? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You have my sympathy DD. I too am surrounded by the yellow peril. Oddly enough it doesn't make me sneeze, but it does bung me up and I not only feel below par as a result but it seems to make me more sensitive to whatever else is around, so much sneezing, itchy eyes, throat and inner ear(the one I really hate!) recently with the tree pollen. I do find the smell of oilseed rape rather nauseating in the quantities it's appeared this year. I wonder if farmers are thinking ahead to the fact that olive oil supplies are likely to become problematic, and rapeseed oil is becoming the oil of choice for the fashion conscious, so there will be a good market?
    Drugs don't help - the 2nd generation non-drowsy antihistamines knock me out just as much as the old ones did and do nothing to deal with the symptoms. A non-drug remedy I used to use for many years is no longer available because big pharma has bought the firm concerned and decided not only not to continue manufacture but also not to release the licence to anyone else.
    Cereal crops and grass to come ... oh joy.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I don't take anti-histamines and my eyes are OK but we don't live exceptionally close to oilseed rape. I have had the occasional 'bad eye' year and just took to wearing glasses of some ilk or other all the time. It helped more or less enough.

My nose gets a steroid nasal inhaler all year round but, though I'm written up for two squirts per nostril day and night, I've managed to get it down to a regular one per nostril just every other night.

I am using my blue inhaler a bit more than usual right now though. (In translation – I'm using my blue inhaler very occasionally right now :lol: Usually, by the time I accept I need it, it's reached its expiry date :oops: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    I dont suffer form hayfever but must say I am sneezing quite a lot, but my GD has resorted to using the piriton and her inhalers..but I think the nearest rapeseed is around 6 miles away..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've always suffered from hay fever mildly since I was a kid, so I understand the sore eye's and snuffles but this year and this early in to the hay fever season I've had an itchy throat which I normally don't get until June/July time!! So some crops must be earlier this season!