OA knee flare

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 23. May 2016, 04:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I've not been around on here much over the past year or so ... mainly because my OA has been pretty much under control, not pain free, but under control. First a recap, I have OA in my feet, ankles, knees and hands ... my hands now have the complication of Dupruytrens and Raynaud's, both affect my right hand more than the left, so I'm often seen at work in short sleeves wearing a glove on my right hand ... lol.

I've managed to lose close to two stone over the past four to five years, it's not been easy, it has helped that I'm still very mobile going out for a three to four mile walk when the weather permits ... I'm never gonna let Arthur beat me.

Over the past couple of weeks my left knee has been a little sore, culminating in sheer agony on Tuesday, so much so I left work early to see an A&E doctor as my knee was swollen and felt like it could go from under me at any time, on top of which my pain meds barely seem to be doing anything. Fast forward five days and the soreness isn't quite as bad and the swelling seems to have gone down a bit, but I'm still unsteady on my left leg and going up and downstairs is far less pleasant than usual. Walking any distance is not something I relish at the moment.

Anyway, I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to discuss my options. Hopefully, things will settle down soon as my OH and I are off on holiday to Croatia in three weeks time where some walking will be required.

Scozzie

PS Apologies to those of you have constant bad pain.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear Scozzie you poor thing.

Knees are not nice when they play up like that and it muct be really annoying that you can't exercise now after that great weight-loss :roll: Well DONE!!

I can't remember whether you use a stick or not (or those 'walking poles'? ), but it might make you feel less vulnerable to falling?

Maybe the GP could get YOU a steroid jab before your hols like Hileena has just had?

Best of luck

Toni xxx
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks Toni

I'm fortunate, so far, that I don't need walking aids, yet.

The weight loss was helped by cutting out fizzy drinks and snacks in the main.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I, too, think you deserve congratulations for the weight loss and for coping so well with your OA despite having it in so many joints :cheers:

My guess is that the GP will suggest a steroid jab in the offending knee – unless they already did that in A&E. As for walking poles – they're worth a thought if you're planning on doing a bit of walking. They're telescopic so would probably fit in a suitcase and plenty of non-arthritic walkers find them very useful. Mr SW claims they take a big load off the knees when going downhill. A knee support might help too when walking but don't overuse it as that encourages muscle weakness and that's the last thing we want :roll:

I hope all goes well for you, scozzie. Enjoy your holiday :deckchair:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello scozzie
    Its lovely to hear from you , only sorry you are suffering with your knee..maybe some ice on it will help especially if its inflamed..please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks Sticky and Barbara.

Here's an update after my GP visit this morning.

My doc had a good ole feel of the offending knee and what was great was he could feel some swelling, he also pushed it in ways a knee's not supposed to move -- to check on the ligaments I reckon.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm now being referred to Orthopaedics for further investigation, the doc wants me to wear knee support and use walking poles for stability. I'm not keen on the knee support for reason you outlined Sticky ... on the upside I've heard walking with poles "properly" can aid in overall fitness, let's hope so.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    OA can be a pig can't it? Walking is good exercise and a knee support is an excellent idea, in my earlier-and-not-so-bad days I wore them when I was due to do more walking than usual and they meant I could go further and for longer, now my rollator does the same job. Placing your knee under undue strain when it's already damaged is not going to help you or it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks DD,

Apart from the pain, I think it's the thought of admitting that I need sticks and the embarrassment of using them around the local streets.

Scozzie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take it from an old hand at this - nobody will take a blind bit of notice because they are wrapped up in their own lives and you may be pleasantly surprised by the way people make room for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Walking poles just look like...er....walking poles ie they make you look like a serious walker. Try not to spoil the effect by limping :wink:

As for the knee support - wear it when walking and take it off when you are resting or just in / outside the house.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Just thought I should give an update.

My left knee is still giving me gip, but it's sorta plateaued ... not getting any better and definitely not getting any worse, so with some trepidation on Saturday I put the knee strapping on and grabbed my new walking poles and set out on one of my easier courses circling a local golf course, it's a good course for walking as there are several short cuts if it became too much. The soreness was there at a constant level as I strode off, well sorta.

DD, you right ... no one gave a damn that I was walking with poles. Sorry Sticky, I have/had no choice but to limp, lol! And I iced the back of the knee when I got home. After around 20 minutes when I took the ice pack off I noticed I had a greater range of movement in that leg, and when I stood up I was able to walk pretty comfortably into the kitchen to get myself a drink ... least amount of pain I'd been in for a few weeks, of course it came back later as the swelling returned, lol!

I managed to get out for another walk on Sunday with the same result, so my confidence is returning, although I'm walking a bit slower. I'm now wondering if I should get a walking stick for when we're in a city type situation, we'll be going to Venice for a day trip from northern Croatia, as well as a few Croatian towns and cities. What do you all think?

Cheers
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd call that a result, scozzie.

Don't get carried away and lay yourself up before your holiday but I think you've done the right thing and proved it works. (Shame about the limp, though :wink: )

As for city walking, do what you're most comfortable with. In touristy spots one sees all manner of things that might seem strange to us. What about the Japanese and their face masks? If you're used to the poles and happy with them then use them – or one. If you'd feel less conspicuous with a stick, go for it.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great holiday.
    Steven Wright