You're looking well.......

Options
Sharon2960
Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
edited 18. May 2016, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
........ Yep, that old chestnut! Today it was my boss who said it - just when I'm living day to day on anti inflammatories & pain relief til I see rheumy nurse next month! He's usually much better at picking up on how I'm feeling than that - I must have made a good job with my make-up this morning!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's a tricky thing, isn't it? Our disability is not necessarily visible to the naked eye, especially in these modern times of DMARDs and anti-TNFs so although we may be feeling rotten we look OK - especially in the summer with a hint of a tan. Obviously the anti-inflams and pain relief are doing their job, of course it would be better if we didn't need them but we do . . . . I always thank the person who has told me I'm looking well replying it's nice to know that's the case. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a mug that reads
    This disease must be doing wonders for my appearance
    Everyone keeps telling me how good I look!

I remember having a moan to my long suffering GP once that the every time someone at work asked if I was "OK", I just wanted reply "Does this look OK?" bearing in mind that I am on two crutches and have a wrist splint on.

My worry is that one day I wil say it out loud!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think my most heart-rending day was when I virtually dragged myself down the long corridor to rheumatology only to be told that according to their blood tests I was doing fine. (Then do some other tests?)

Slosh, I love your mug.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    But, but, but...wouldn't it be worse if people didn't try to cheer us up and honestly commented on how we were looking? Imagine, the horror and gasps when people notice your really rough days.

My worst occasion for this was unarthritis related. I'd just come back into the office after visiting the loo with yet another bout of fabulous morning sickness only for my boss to have arrived in my absence and comment 'wow, you really do have that pregnancy glow about you'...I was more this colour :mrgreen:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have a mug which states 'I have one nerve and you're getting on it.' I like. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sharon2960
    Options
    Love the mugs that Slosh & DD have! And I too usually reply with a thankyou, but it's good to come on here & have a bit if a whinge with folk who understand x
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    It does happen quite a few times. I just say, it's smoke and mirrors and the smile you see is fake. :D
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think possibly we're all missing a trick, here.

Shouldn't we be marketing 'arthritis pills' (all 'natural' ingredients, holistic, freshly juiced etc) as a beauty aid?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Together with the tripe therapy we'd make a fortune!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Sharon after 2 THR one neighbours has said when will you be back in heels.. :shock: oh well onward and upward and try and let it go over your head..not easy..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sharon2960
    Options
    Heels? Oh, yeah, I remember them lol! Hated getting rid of them - now, I dont even fancy trying to wear them (though my eyes are still drawn to very colourful high shoes!) give me comfort any day!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    It's a good job none of us work as receptionists for a certain city firm who have a dress code that includes women having to wear heels between 2 and 4 inches.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I often have people say this to me. Or "you stay so cheerful and positive, how on earth do you do that?". No point in moaning about having Arthritis - it's part of me and always will be now.

I have always taken the view you should count your blessings, focus on what you can do and forget about the things you can no longer manage. It's surprising how we adapt everyday tasks so that we can accomplish things.

So all in all, don't we all look well?

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!