Medications

daniivca
daniivca Member Posts: 30
edited 23. May 2016, 13:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a quick question :) I take hydroxychloroquine and a few weeks ago I came out in a rash after been out in the sun, at the time I thought I had an allergic reaction to my washing powder but after reading around I found it could be a side effect of the meds. Although last week I was out in the sun all day and I didn't realise it would be as sunny as it was so forget to cover up but didn't come out in a rash. I was just wondering if this was a side effect that came and want for want of a better phrase! Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,

Hydroxychloroquine makes you very sensitive to the sun - my rheumy nurse told me always to be careful in the sun, use a very high factor cream, and cover up. It can cause a rash, and I believe methotrexate causes similar problems.
  • daniivca
    I was never told that, I just thought it was strange that it affected me one week but not a few weeks later. I'll bear that in mind now though
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As Tezz says, it's probably the hydroxy. Methotrexate certainly can produce a sun rash and I think most of the DMARDS and biologics can. Cover up and slap on the Factor As-Big-As-You-Can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, I'm on Hydroxychoroquine, I do get a hot, itchy rash now and again and I read that can be a side effect of the medication. I find if I'm concerned about anything I call either my Rheumatology nurse or speak with my G.P on a phone consultation (if your surgery does them) which is the best thing I can advise as you can never be sure. Hope this is useful! :)
  • daniivca
    Thanks everyone :) I'm only on the hydroxy so it must have been that unless it was an allergic reaction to my washing powder which I'm now doubting! My mum works for a pharmacy so whenever I picked up my meds I meant to ask but completely forgot to do so! If it comes back and it's worse then I'll get an appointment at my doctors because they do same day consultations :) but thanks for all your help!
  • stickywicket
    If it's due to photosensitivity there's no need to see a doc – just keep out of the sun.
    Steven Wright
  • daniivca
    Stupid question but would it itch if it was a rash from the sun?
  • stickywicket
    In my experience, horribly. Mine wasn't from hydroxy or meth but a – now discontinued – NSAID. I remained very photo-sensitive for a long time after I came off the med. I also had a rash when on gold injections.
    Steven Wright