OA knee flare up up-date

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 11. Jun 2016, 16:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I wrote several weeks ago about a painful OA flare up in my left knee and my worries about it being "right" for my holidays, which I'm now on.

Last night I almost wrote a post to say how well things were going, pain wise. For the most part I was able to walk almost normally, ie without a noticeable limp which helps my lower back and hip -- walking downhill and downstairs were my main problems, along with uneven cobblestones, as pretty as they may look, lol. We've, my OH and I, have walked miles, including around six in Venice without too many problems.

Today, however, we visited Pula on a local bus on which I had to stand for the best part of the way there, when a seat became available I had to ask the young lady, who was sitting in the neighbouring seat, three or four times if she could please move her handbag so I could sit down! So it's not just British youngsters who lack manners in this department.

Anyway, the trip to Pula was to visit one of the biggest, still standing, Roman amphitheater/colluseum. As we were walking around, we climbed a number of staircases without incident, until we reached one with a much higher riser/step than normal and, of course, as I had been walking up stairs without too many issues I climbed these the usual way, right foot/left foot ... which turned out to be a very bad idea, and I mean bad! Three quarters of the way through the step I felt a really bad pain shoot through my knee, especially at the back. After finishing the step I hopped around in agony for what felt like five to ten minutes, but was probably less.

So I've walked around gingerly since, steps are now taken slowly, as are downhills. I think I've set my knee back around two to three weeks ... it'll be interesting to see how bad it is in the morning.

Take care
Scozzie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you got a bit over-ambitious there, scozzie. How's it all now? I hope it hasn't spoilt the holiday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Scozzie
    Yes you have certainly overdone things, but we all do it especially on holiday..put some ice on that knee and keep it there for a while, my OH got a bakers cyst at the back of his knee, through having OA in it..so watch out for any swelling..and enjoy the rest of your holiday...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I just want to say in defence of British youngsters it's not wholly their fault. My daughter got fed up because of the number of times she offered her seat to someone older/elderly wholooked as though they needed it only for them to be rude to her when refusing it.

I do hope your knee settles down again soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi Scozzie
    I agree with the others - it's easy to overdo it when we are trying to make the most of our hols 8)

Sorry I missed your first post (my OH broke his laptop and has been extremely slow to give up using mine!) - I've also go OA in the knee and I have found that using a crutch helps with times when I am putting more pressure on it. As a teacher that basically means at work, but I have used one nearly all the time since my last big flare at Christmas (it didn't really go away but I hope yours does). On the plus side, people do give up their seats more easily now :)

Hope you enjoyed your holiday and are getting some relief now
    Fay
    x
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thanks all, I've suffered no ill effects with my knee since ... I think it's just at a level where it'll be uncomfortable walking downhills or downstairs or on uneven ground, except when I aggregate it like I did the other day -- all I have to do is stop aggravating it, easier said than done.

Today, I drove around 150 miles on the wrong side of the road for the first time in my life ... I've only ever driven in the UK, Oz and New Zealand, so driving in Croatia was a new experience ... and what a beautiful country it is!

Take care
    Scozzie